As much as I love to bake with butter, I also love healthy baking. Sure I’m not the one to compromise on butter while making my pineapple-upside down cake or cut down on cream cheese for oreo cream cheese frosting but there are things that I bake to eat as a snack or post workout meal and I want those things to be healthy.
These almond flour bars are made using almond flour, almond butter, applesauce, flax seeds and honey – wow that’s a long list of healthy ingredients. They are high on energy making them ideal as post workout snack. You can use any nut butter of your choice- almond, peanut, cashew whatever floats your boat. I used unsalted almond butter in this recipe.
These almond flour bars are quite soft initially but will harden over time. In fact they tasted better 24 hours after I baked them. The quantity of honey can be adjusted to taste and one can also use maple syrup in place of honey. Also in case you don’t have applesauce replace it with 1 egg.
I used a 8 X 8 square pan but didn’t cover it entirely with the mixture. I poured it on one side of the baking pan because I wanted thicker bars.
* In case you can’t find almond flour at your grocery store, you can make it at home. Soak the almonds overnight and then remove their skin or you can get blanched almonds in that case you can skip this step. Put the blanched almonds in food processor and pulse till it forms a coarse powder. Sift the flour to get rid of any large particles.
* You can use any nut of your choice – walnuts, pistachios, pecans.
* Chia, Sesame seeds would be great addition to these bars.
Serves: 9 bars
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup apple sauce
- ½ cup nut butter, almond or peanut
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp honey
- ½ cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- mini chocolate chips
- sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
- Line a 8X8 square pan with parchment paper or spray it with a non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix almond/peanut butter, honey, apple sauce and salt in a bowl.
- Add flour, baking powder, chopped pecans, flax seeds and mini chocolate chips to the wet ingredients and mix.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips and sweetened shredded coconut. Press them lightly with a spoon or use your hands.
- Bake at 350 F degrees for 20-25 minutes, till edges are golden brown in color.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars.
- Bars will be very soft initially but will harden over time.
Almond Flour Bars