Vegan Butternut Squash Chili made in the Instant Pot. Heart, flavorful, spicy – this chili is so good for cold days!
If you love all the Instant Pot vegetarian/vegan recipes that I share on the blog, please join me on this Facebook Group – Instant Pot Vegetarian Recipes. The group would share/feature vegetarian instant pot recipes and ideas from all around the web!
Do you guys understand daylight savings? I for one don’t get it. Having said that, I don’t mind the extra hour that we get when clock goes back. The worst part of this whole daylight savings is that I have to start my day early and finish the cooking, videos and photo shoots by 2 pm. As it is the weather is mostly grey this time of the year and with the change in time, it gets dark at 3-4 pm. I have tried liking/using artificial light for pictures but I just prefer the natural light so much more and there’s always a scarcity of that in winters!
Because I am trying to finish work quickly, I am mostly relying on my Instant Pot for quick meals. And since it’s this cold (we had snow this weekend!!), there’s nothing better and comforting than a bowl of chili. This Instant Pot Butternut Squash Chili is perfectly spiced, really flavorful and super easy to put together using your Instant Pot. I love butternut squash during this time of the year, I think it’s my favorite fall produce. It’s such a tasty vegetable and you can use it in so many different ways to create nutritious meals. I remember making a pasta sauce with it sometime back but I never got around sharing it.
That’s the thing, sometimes I don’t really have the time to measure things and click pictures and so those recipes never make it to the blog. Anyway, I am sure I will make that pasta again and will be sure to click pictures this time around and share it with you guys!
For now, let’s talk about this Butternut Squash Chili!
✓ made in the instant pot – easy and quick
✓ this chili is vegan, gluten-free, nut free and dairy-free!
✓ is spiced with chipotle, cumin & smoked paprika!
This chili turned out a bit spicy and that’s because I used jalapeños and also the diced tomatoes that I used were fire roasted with green chilies. You can adjust this to taste, skip the jalapeños and use normal diced tomatoes (minus the chilies) for a less spicy chili. If you don’t mind the heat – stick to the recipe! I like flavorful chili and this instant pot butternut squash chili is just that! Super flavorful, spicy, hearty and so comforting for the cold weather. This would also be great to serve at your Thanksgiving table.
Looking for more recipes with butternut squash? Check these out!
Press saute button on the Instant Pot and add oil to it. Once the oil is hot, add bay leaf and onions. Cook the onions till they are soft, around 3 minutes.
Add diced jalapeños, chopped garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
Add the spices- chipotle powder, cumin powder, smoked paprika and mix. Cook the spices for 30 seconds.
Stir in black beans, diced tomatoes and salt. Cook the beans and tomatoes with the spices for 2-3 minutes.
Add vegetable broth or water and mix.
Close the lid and set valve to sealing. Press the manual/pressure cook button and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then release the remaining pressure manually.
I like to serve this vegan butternut squash chili with diced avocados and cilantro. You may use any topping of choice, tortilla chips would be nice too!
* Adjust spice levels to taste. Skip the jalapenos if you don’t like heat in your chili.
* I used a can of diced tomatoes which had green chilies in it so my chili was bit spicy. Use a regular can of diced tomatoes to cut down the heat.
- 1 tablespoon oil, I used avocado oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- ½ jalapeno, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 15.5 oz can black beans
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, I used fire roasted with green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- 450 grams butternut squash, cubed
- juice of 1 lime
- lime wedges
- Press saute button on the Instant Pot and add oil to it. Once the oil is hot, add bay leaf and onions. Cook the onions till they are soft, around 3 minutes.
- Add diced jalapeños, chopped garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the spices- chipotle powder, cumin powder, smoked paprika and mix. Cook the spices for 30 seconds.
- Stir in black beans, diced tomatoes and salt. Cook the beans and tomatoes with the spices for 2-3 minutes and then add vegetable broth (or water) and mix.
- Add butternut squash on top, do not stir.
- Close the lid and set valve to sealing. Press the manual/pressure cook button and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then release the remaining pressure manually.
- Stir in lime juice and serve butternut squash chili with diced avocado, cilantro and lime wedge!
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Chili