Instant Pot Vegan Pineapple Fried Rice – easy and delicious pineapple fried rice made in the instant pot! Makes for a quick dinner and leftovers are great for lunch!
If you love all the Instant Pot vegetarian/vegan recipes that I share on the blog, please join me on this Facebook Group – Instant Pot Vegetarian Recipes. The group would feature vegetarian instant pot recipes from all around the web!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. For more information on my Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.
See I told you guys, I love Asian food and fried rice is right up there in my list of favorite things. But I mostly do not like the fried rice that we get at restaurants and the reason is that it has egg in it and I am not a fan of egg in my rice. Actually I am not a huge egg fan in any way but in my rice? No way would I eat that. So I do the next best thing – make it at home. I love the pineapple fried rice and I have shared that recipe with you guys long back. Now I am sharing the Instant Pot version of it. Because you guys love the instant pot recipes, I hope you would love this instant pot vegan pineapple fried rice too!
The most important thing to make a good fried rice is to get the texture of the rice right. And here’s who you need to do to achieve that.
✓ Rinse the jasmine rice in cold water till the water becomes clear. So when you rinse the rice, the water will be cloudy/milky at first. Keep rinsing till the water gets clear, this may take 60-90 seconds. After the water is clear, you then drain the rice completely and set it aside. This step is extremely important to remove the excess starch. If you skip this step, your rice will be very sticky.
And now the best part of this fried rice – the instant pot! I have literally stopped using my pressure cooker and other pans these days. I am cooking all the time in my IP, I just find it so convenient. If you guys have not got an Instant pot yet, I highly recommend jumping on the bandwagon. I assure you that you will not be disappointed.
This Vegan Pineapple Fried Rice
✓ is super easy to make
✓ gets done in less than 30 minutes.
✓ cooked entirely in the instant pot so less dishes to clean!
✓ pairs perfectly with all your favorite Asian takeouts.
To make this instant pot vegan pineapple fried rice, I first cooked the rice. Once that was done, I took it out in a bowl and sauteed rest of the ingredients in the pot and then added the cooked rice back in. You may also push the rice to a side if you don’t wish to take it out. When you take the rice out of the pot, some of it will stick to the pot. That is completely okay, you don’t have to worry about it. As you can see in the video, it all comes together rather nicely in the end!
I cooked the rice on manual mode for this recipe (because I usually prefer cooking on manual for just about everything) but you may also use the rice button on the IP. If you are using the rice button, you might want to use a rice to water ratio of 1:1.25. If you have an IP and are looking for an easy dinner recipe, give this pineapple fried rice a try. The leftover makes for great lunch too.
PS: Recipe adapted from my recipe of Pineapple Fried Rice.
PPS: I am leaving for Alaska for a short trip today. Let me know if you guys have any recommendation for restaurants/places that I must see!
Rinse rice with cold water till the water is no longer cloudy and turns clear. This might take 60-90 seconds and is an extremely important step in order to get the perfect texture of rice. Drain the rice completely and then transfer it to the pot. Add water and stir.
Close the lid of the IP, set valve to sealing. Press manual button, and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then release the remaining pressure. Open the lid and fluff the rice using a fork. Transfer rice to a bowl and set aside.
Now press the saute button.
Add oil to the pot (there’s no need to clean it).
Once oil is hot, add garlic and ginger and saute for few seconds.
Add in chopped onion and spring onion whites. Saute for a minute.
Then add carrot, green peas and pepper. Saute for another minute.
Push all the veggies to the side and add the soy sauce.
Put the cooked rice back in the pot again. You may press “cancel/keep warm” button at this point. Stir till everything is well combined and all the rice is coated with the sauce.
Garnish with spring onion greens and enjoy the pineapple fried rice!
* Actual cooking time is less than 20 minutes. This time includes the time the Instant Pot takes to come to pressure and also the time taken to release the pressure.
* To make this recipe gluten-free, use a gluten-free soy sauce.
* I have used canned pineapple chunks here, you may use fresh pineapple but that would need to be cooked a bit more.
* Want to add an egg? Add in once you have sauteed the veggies. Push veggies to the side, add the egg and let it cook. Once the eggs is cooked, mixed it with the veggies and then add the rice.
* Want to spice things up? Add 1-2 teaspoons of sriracha!
Recommended for this recipe: Instant Pot Duo
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on my Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.
- 1.5 cups jasmine rice [312 grams]
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 stalks spring onion, chopped, white and green parts separated
- ½ red bell pepper
- ½ cup mix of carrots & peas [ I used frozen carrot & peas and put them in warm water for 5 minutes before using in the recipe]
- 1.25 cups pineapple chunks, I used canned pineapple chunks
- 2.5 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper powder, or to taste
- salt, to taste
- Rinse rice with cold water till the water is no longer cloudy and turns clear. This might take 60-90 seconds and is an extremely important step in order to get the perfect texture of rice.
- Drain the rice completely and then transfer it to the pot. Add water and stir.
- Close the lid of the IP, set valve to sealing.
- Press manual, and then use the (+/-) button to decrease the time to 3 minutes. The Instant Pot will turn "ON" and come to pressure before it counts down the 3 minutes.
- After the 3 minutes are up, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then release the remaining pressure using a spatula.
- Open the lid and fluff the rice using a fork. Transfer rice to a bowl and set aside.
- Now press the saute button.
- Add oil to the pot (there's no need to clean it).
- Once oil is hot, add garlic and ginger and saute for few seconds.
- Add in chopped onion and spring onion whites. Saute for a minute.
- Then add carrot, green peas and pepper. Saute for another minute.
- Stir in the pineapple chunks and cook for 1 more minute.
- Push all the veggies to the side and add the soy sauce.
- Put the cooked rice back in the pot again. You may press "cancel/keep warm" button at this point.
- Stir till everything is well combined and all the rice is coated with the sauce.
- Add white pepper powder, salt and mix to combine.
- Garnish with spring onion greens and enjoy the pineapple fried rice!
Instant Pot Pineapple Fried Rice