Vegan slow cooker sweet potato soup – a warm comforting soup all made in the slow cooker.
I have borderline obsession with sweet potatoes. Well, they are so damn delicious that you can’t really blame me. Especially now that they are in season, I eat them all the time. In India, we never ate too many sweet potatoes. The only way I ate them was in the sweet potato chaat, with all the spices and lemon juice, it was so good! But over the years, I have discovered so many wonderful way to enjoy this vegetable. Toss them in salads, roast them with cinnamon and maple or simple use them in a soup! And that’s exactly what I am sharing with you guys today, my slow cooker sweet potato soup. The best part about this soup is that it’s made in the slow cooker. So easy and convenient!
Since it’s quite cold here now, all I have for dinner these days is a bowl of soup. And since I am having it every day I am trying new flavors. Last week I made – butternut squash soup, pumpkin soup, lentil soup, tomato soup and this sweet potato soup and I made all the soups in the slow cooker. My slow cooker is literally working overtime these days. For someone who has never used slow cooker before, that’s quite a fascination.
But slow cooker does that to you! I mean it’s so convenient, how can you not fall in love with it? The idea of simply tossing everything together in the cooker and then have dinner ready by the time you come home is just amazing! I can’t wait to try so many other things in my slow cooker.
For this soup, all I did was put everything in the cooker and slow cooked for 8 hours. I have an Instant Pot and I used the slow cooker option on that [“normal” setting]. Once done, simply blend using the immersion blender and stir in some coconut milk. You can also add milk if you don’t wish to keep it vegan. The addition of carrot and ginger really elevates the flavors and I highly recommend adding them. This slow cooker sweet potato soup is lightly spiced with cayenne, cumin and nutmeg. Really comforting and perfect for cold days.
To a slow cooked add chopped sweet potatoes, diced carrot, chopped ginger, chopped onion.
Add salt, cumin, cayenne, nutmeg and pinch of turmeric.
Add 1.5 cups water or vegetable broth and give a stir.
Slow cook for 8 hours on low.
In the morning use your immersion blender to blend everything to a smooth paste. Or blend using your regular blender.
Add more vegetable broth or water and also stir in the coconut milk. Mix till everything is well combined.
Serve the slow cooker sweet potato soup with some pumpkin seeds on top.
* Adjust the consistency of soup to preference. Add more water/broth or coconut milk for a thinner consistency.
- 2 sweet potatoes, around 500 grams
- 1.5 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 large carrot
- 1 small red onion
- 1 inch ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- pinch turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg powder
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1.5 cups water or vegetable broth
- ½ cup +2 tablespoons lite coconut milk
- To a slow cooked add chopped sweet potatoes, diced carrot, chopped ginger, chopped onion.
- Add salt, pepper, cumin, cayenne, nutmeg and pinch of turmeric.
- Add 1.5 cups water or vegetable broth and give a stir.
- Slow cook for 8 hours on low.
- In the morning use your immersion blender to blend everything to a smooth paste. Or blend using your regular blender.
- Add more vegetable broth or water and also stir in the coconut milk. Mix till everything is well combined.
- Serve the sweet potato soup with some pumpkin seeds on top.
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Soup