Start your day with these cheesy Spinach Corn Sandwich. You can even pack them for a quick lunch!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. For more information on my Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.
The weather has been so weird here. There has been a wildfire and the whole area is covered with ash. It has been two days that I have seen the sun. I mean we often do not see the sun in winters but that’s normal. Here the sun is out and all I can see is it’s glimpse beneath the ash. Yesterday while taking a walk, it felt like I am walking in Delhi. Such kind of ash filled environment is pretty common there but when you have it here, it definitely feels strange and not it a good way.
Weather also reminds me of all the issues that the world has been facing recently due to natural calamities. I have been reading about the hurricane in Florida, I hope and pray that everything remains under control and there is no major devastation. There also has been so much destruction in the Caribbean islands. It has been a rather terrible last few days. My thoughts and prayers with everyone going through this.
When the weather isn’t great, you resort to comfort food – I know I do. And cheesy sandwich is right up there in my list of comfort food. Mix some spinach and corn with cheese and you have got yourself this cheesy spinach corn sandwich which is so good with chai on a dark and gloomy day. Some of you requested me to post more sandwich recipes and so here I am sharing one of my favorites. I will surely post more sandwich recipes in the coming weeks/months.
Spinach and corn is quite a popular combination and I love it as much in curries as I do in this sandwich. This sandwich has fresh spinach and sweet corn which are cooked in a cheesy sauce made by mixing flour and milk. Yes the sauce itself makes the filling quite cheesy. But if you can’t have enough of cheese, you can definitely add some grated cheese or cheese slices before grilling them.
Spinach Corn Sandwich
✓ combine spinach with the sweetness of corn
✓ flavored with italian seasoning and pepper flakes for that slight kick
✓ are super cheesy
This sandwich is pretty straight forward to make. It’s also a delicious way to eat your greens! Even people who do not like spinach would happily gobble this up. Yes cheese can make people eat things that they normally would not! I used only 1 cheese slice for the two sandwiches that I made, half for each but you can very well use 1 cheese slice per sandwich. You may also use grated cheese here.
PS: I have used garlic powder here because I ran out of garlic the day I made these sandwiches. You may use a large clove of garlic in place. Saute it with butter before adding the corn in that case.
Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet. I used my favorite cast iron skillet here.
Once the butter melts, add corn and saute for 1 minute. Add black pepper, salt and mix.
Add chopped spinach and cook for 30 seconds till leaves wilt.
Then add all purpose flour (maida) and saute for 1-2 minute till it’s all roasted.
Add milk, keep stirring.
Add italian seasoning, red chili flakes and garlic powder. Stir to combine.
Let it all cook for 2 minutes or till milk dries up and mixture looks like a paste.
Spread the prepared spinach corn mixture on bread slices. Top with cheese slices (if using).
Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter on a grill pan. Toast till sandwiches are golden brown from both sides.
Cut into slices and serve these spinach corn sandwich with any sauce of choice. I love it with sriracha!
* I have used whole wheat bread here. You may use any bread of choice.
* You can use grated cheese of choice in place of the slices. I have used Amul cheese slices here.
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- ½ cup sweet corn, I used frozen corn which I soaked in warm water for 5 minutes before using
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- salt, to taste
- 1 cup chopped spinach [75 grams]
- 1.5 teaspoons all purpose flour, also known as maida
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon italian seasoning, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes, or to taste
- ¼ + ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder, skip if using fresh garlic [if using garlic use 1 large clove]
- 4 bread slices, I used whole wheat bread
- 1-2 cheese slices, optional, I used Amul cheese slices
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet. Once the butter melts, add corn and saute for 1 minute. Add black pepper, salt and mix.
- Add chopped spinach and cook for 30 seconds till leaves wilt.
- Then add all purpose flour (maida) and saute for 1-2 minute till it's all roasted.
- Add milk, keep stirring. Add italian seasoning, red chili flakes and garlic powder. Stir to combine. [PS: you may use a large clove of garlic in place of garlic powder. Saute garlic with butter before adding the corn in that case].
- Let it all cook for 2 minutes or till milk dries up and mixture looks like a paste.
- Spread the prepared spinach corn mixture on bread slices. Top with cheese slices (if using).
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in a grill pan. Toast till sandwiches are golden brown from both sides.
- Cut into slices and serve these spinach corn sandwich with any sauce of choice.
Spinach Corn Sandwich