White chocolate is not everyone’s cup of tea. Even if you like chocolate, chances are you despise the white chocolate – the milky flavor and sweetness is a tad too much for some people to handle I guess. As far as I am concerned I am neutral about it. I definitely like my regular chocolate much more but I don’t hate the white one either. But even if you hate white chocolate you are gonna loves these blondies, the major reason behind it is the macademia nuts.
The macadamia nuts and white chocolate go so well together in these soft and chewy blondies – the sweetness of the white chocolate is balanced out by the crunchy macadamia nuts. The added nutella brings in a hint of hazelnut chocolate, which you will fall in love with if you are a nutella fan like me.
Usually light brown sugar in used in blondies but I used granulated white sugar because that’s what I had at home while I was making these. If you have brown sugar, please use that. Talking about blondies I had no idea what they were until I came to US. For those who don’t know, blondies are thick dessert bars made using brown sugar, flour, butter and eggs. Just like cupcakes and cookies you can add various chocolate chips, nuts etc. to blondies to enhance the flavor.
So even if you don’t love white chocolate, give these blondies a try. The crunchy roasted macadamia nuts in between thick dessert bars with nutella on top doesn’t only sound great but tastes great too.
* You can use granulated white sugar in the recipe but brown sugar in preferred.
* The amount of sugar can be adjusted to taste. This amount was perfect for me as nutella also has a lot of sugar in it. In case you are not adding nutella, you might want to increase the sugar to 1 cup.
* 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract can be used in place of vanilla extract.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- ¾ cup light brown sugar [can use granulated sugar]
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, large
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ½ cup macadamia nuts, roasted
- 3-4 tablespoons nutella
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Line a 8 X 8 baking pan with aluminium foil and set aside.
- Heat butter and sugar in a pan till the butter is completely melted and mixture is smooth. Allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and mix, also add in the salt.
- Add in the flour and mix to combine.
- Fold in the white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts till they are well distributed throughout the mixture.
- Pour the batter (it will be very thick) into the pan and even it out using a spatula.
- Drop nutella on top and run a knife across the mixture to make swirls.
- Bake at 350 F degrees for around 25 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares.
White Chocolate Macadamia Nut & Nutella Blondies