Between all the dessert madness of fall and Diwali, here’s a healthy recipe – Baked Kale Chips! I was not very familiar with Kale until a few months back. I always saw it in grocery stores but never picked it up just because I was not sure how it would taste. Then once I tried kale salad in a restaurant and loved it and since then I often buy and use them in salads mostly. But the other day, I had a bunch lying in my refrigerator and I thought of making kale chips for my evening snack. I always look out for healthy snack options and what can be healthier than baked kale chips?
We all know how healthy kale is and so rather than eating your regular chips why not try these healthy chips in stead? These have to be baked at a lower temperature otherwise the leaves would burn. I baked mine at 275 F degrees for 20 minutes. Depending on your oven these may take anywhere between 20-25 minutes.
Here are few things to keep in mind in order to get the perfect crispy kale chips –
1. bake at a lower temperature
2. line your baking tray with parchment paper
3. wash the leaves and dry them completely before tossing them in oil and seasoning
4. too much of oil or any other liquid will make them soggy
5. spread them on the baking sheet in a single layer, no overcrowding
Bake these chips and enjoy them immediately. They don’t stay crispy for long!
* You can add any seasoning of your choice like cayenne pepper, onion etc.
* Remember to remove the leaves from the stem before washing them.
Baked Kale Chips
- 1 bunch kale leaves
- ½ teaspoon garlic seasoning or salt
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¾ teaspoon olive oil
- sea salt for sprinkling [optional]
- Preheat oven to 275 F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Chop of the stems and separate the kale leaves.
- Wash the leaves and pat dry them. They should be completely dry before adding the dressing.
- Toss the dried leaves in a bowl and add olive oil. Mix till all leaves are coated with the oil.
- Sprinkle the seasoning and mix.
- Transfer the kale leaves onto the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes, rotate the pan and bake for another 10-12 minutes. I baked mine for 20 minutes. [Kale leaves shrink then baked, this is fine]
- Take out from oven, let them cool down on the baking sheet for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle some sea salt and eat immediately.
33 thoughts on “Baked Kale Chips”
I love kale chips but have never made them myself before. Thanks for the delicious inspiration – definitely need to make the recipe!
Thanks Thalia! they are very easy to make!
I love kale and kale chips – so tasty and addicting. Yours looks awesome!
Thanks Kelly! I’m in the process of falling in love with Kale! 😀
I haven’t made me some kale chips in a LONG TIME and I think it’s time I break this FAST!! Thank you for the reminder of their deliciousness!
You are welcome!
We both love kale chips, Manali it is really very healthy and tasty. Last year Corina celebrated Diwali with friends from India and everyone dressed up and shared wonderful dishes. Wish we would have thought of kale chips then!
Hi Judit, thanks for dropping by! Wow that sounds like one awesome Diwali celebration! 🙂 I’m sure kale chips would have been a wonderful addition, maybe this time? since Diwali is just a few days away!
Kale chips are one of my favorite snacks! These look so simple and downright addicting!
Thanks Sarah! They are so healthy that this addiction is not bad 😉
Beautiful pictures and kale chips Manali! I’ve never cooked or baked with kale before, but I am loving the healthy chip idea – so I’m totally down with that. Pinned! Because we are always looking for healthy snacks!
Thanks Kristi! I’m all for healthy snacks!
This recipe totally comes at the right time, I was just thinking about trying kale chips!