Chocolate Peppermint Cake Donuts
Nov 28, 2015, Updated May 07, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
So now that Thanksgiving is behind us, it’s officially time for all things peppermint! And so I guess now is the right time to post these Peppermint Cake Donuts! These chocolate donuts are super easy to make using Betty Crocker’s Devil’s Cake Mix. They are topped with a thick and amazing peppermint buttercream and crushed peppermint candy to make them the idea holiday treat!
There’s also a $10 giveaway at the bottom of the post to help with your Holiday Baking!
What are you favorite Holiday treats? Tough question I know! But I would assume it would involve either peppermint or chocolate or both! In case you said both, then I have got just the right treat for you. I have always been a chocoholic and I am sure you guys are well aware about this since I post chocolate recipes on a pretty regular basis. But peppermint is something I have grown to like. Initially I never cared enough for the flavor but now I do like it. I think it has to do with the fact that first peppermint treats that I ate were like too pepper-minty. You guys get that right? I just cannot take that much peppermint. But if you add a splash of it and combine it with chocolate, well then I am not complaining!
I wanted to share an easy treat for the holidays and I thought it would be great to make some Chocolate Peppermint Cake Donuts! I love baking donuts, they are easy to make and also so delicious. However this time I made it extra simple by using Betty Crocker Devil’s Food Cake Mix to make these donuts. As much as I love making everything from scratch, such quick recipes come in handy especially during the holiday season. There’s so much to do and it really helps if you can whip up a treat in no time for your friends and family!
I have been baking so much lately, well tis the season to bake right? And whenever I bake I have this habit of snacking. Baking and snacking go together in my world! One of my favorite things to snack on is Chex. Isn’t it everyone’s favorite? So much that you can do with chex. I made this quick nuts and chex mix and drizzle it with some chocolate. It made for a yummy snack! Here’s how you make it – Measure 2 cups of chex cereal and transfer it to a bowl. Add 1/2 cup peanuts and 1/2 cup toasted pecans to it. Melt 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter and add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder to it. Pour the mixture over the chex mix and combine. Melt 4 oz chocolate and drizzle on top of the chex mix and enjoy!
Coming back to my donuts. All you have to do is mix the Betty Crocker cake mix accrding to instructions on the package. Pipe the batter into your donut pan and bake for around 15 minutes. You don’t need to overbake them. While the donuts are baking, make your peppermint buttercream. This frosting is so thick and fluffy, you will love it!
Don’t these donuts look like the perfect treat for the Holidays? I love the crushed peppermint candy on top!
I picked up my Betty Crocker Cake Mix and Chex Cereal from my local WinCo store. WinCo Foods, Inc. is a privately held, majority employee-owned American supermarket chain based in Boise, Idaho with retail stores in Arizona, California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Texas, Utah, and Washington. They have some great deals going on right now to spread the #WinCoCheer.
Click HERE to save $1 on Betty Crocker Cake Mix and Check Cereal.
And now for the giveaway! To help you little with your Holiday Baking here’s a chance to win $10 PayPal Cash. Follow the instructions in the Rafflecopter widget below to enter. Good luck!
Chocolate Peppermint Cake Donuts
Chocolate Cake Donuts
Peppermint Buttercream Frosting
- 1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons cream or milk
- crushed peppermint candy to sprinkle
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
- Spray two 12 capacity donut pans with a non-stick spray and set aside.
- Prepare the Betty crocker devil's food cake mix according to instrcutions on the package. Do not over-mix the batter.
- Transfer batter to the prepared donut pans, filling till each cavity is around 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350 F degrees for 14-15 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the donuts to cool completely before frosting them.
- To make the frosting beat butter using your stand or hand mixer till it turns pale, around 3 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract, peppermint extract and mix till well combined.
- Add cream or milk, 1 tablespoon at a time till you get the desired consistency. I kept the frosting thick so didn't add too much milk, just enough to spread it.
- Once the donuts have cooled, frost them with the prepared peppermint frosting. I just used a spatula to place thick layer of frosting on each donuts.
- Sprinkle some crushed peppermint candy on top and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Easy Chocolate Peppermint Cake Donuts