Slow Cooker Dal Makhani – black lentils cooked overnight in the slow cooker and then tempered with spices. Dal Makhani is one of India’s most popular dal and is best enjoyed with rice or naan.
Happy Monday! I am sure you all had a relaxing long weekend with family and friends. I think everyone goes into food coma on the day of Thanksgiving but then it amazes me that after eating so much people still have the strength to stand in mile long lines for black Friday! Like there was a mile long queue at the local Target. Can you guys believe it? I am one of those who can never stand in these lines. In fact I stay far away from this Black Friday madness. I prefer shopping online and after watching pictures and videos which went viral on social media from a Nike Outlet Store near Seattle, I am just very glad about my decision. Where is the fun of shopping when you have to literally struggle to walk your way through the aisle? Do you guys go all out shopping on black Friday or do you prefer to stay at home? I didn’t really have a long shopping list anyway but I still ended up buying some kitchen stuff, what else can you expect from a food blogger?
Anyway other than the shopping madness, it was good to just eat and relax for a bit. And obviously we all needed the extra break to let this sink in – Thanksgiving is over! Seriously how? I am still in denial. On the brighter side though, everything looks so pretty outside these days. The lights, the cold, it’s just gorgeous. And when it’s that cold outside you obviously crave for all warm and comforting food and even better when it’s made in a slow cooker like this Slow Cooker Dal Makhani.
I already have a dal makhani recipe on my blog but it’s the regular version. This one is made in the slow cooker and tastes even better! Dal Makhani is one of India’s most popular dal preparation. Especially in north India, it’s there on the menu in every wedding and party. Like the previous recipe, this one is also by my hubby. Whenever we make dal makhani, I leave it to him to do all the cooking. I mean he makes the best dal makhani, so why should I interfere with perfection, right?
To make this slow cooker dal makhani I used my Instant Pot again and just like my slow cooker chana masala recipe, this one too has few extra steps outside the slow cooker. You basically slow cook the black lentils [urad sabut] overnight and then in the morning add spices, tomato puree, butter and slow cook again for few hours and then do the final tempering. I have to say that slow cooking really works well with Indian recipes. With recipes like chole, dal the flavors have to really come together and slow cooking makes sure that happens. I hope you guys give this slow cooker dal makhani a try, it was definitely one of the best I have ever had.
Wash the dal and add it to you slow cooker along with 3 cups water, turmeric powder and salt.
Add 2 teaspoons ghee and mix.
Add ginger garlic paste and give a stir.
Mix everything and slow cook for 8 hours. I used normal setting on my slow cooker mode on my Instant Pot.
After 8 hours the dal will be soft and cooked.
Take a masher and mash the dal.
Add 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, amchur, red chili powder and mix.
Add tomato puree and mix.
Finally add in the butter and mix and slow cook for 2-3 hours again. After the dal has slow cooked for 2-3 hours, add 1/4 cup heavy cream to it.
Heat 2 teaspoons ghee.
Once ghee has melted add chopped garlic and whole red chilies.
Saute on medium heat till the garlic starts turning light golden brown.
Transfer tempering to dal. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon garam masala, little lemon juice and mix. Garnish with cilantro and serve this slow cooker dal makhani with naan or rice.
* Adjust the quantity of red chili powder, butter and cream to taste. You may add more butter and cream for a creamier (& tastier & more calorie laden!) dal makhani.
* Use store bought tomato puree here, my husband kind of insisted on it so I thought I must mention it here.
- 1 cup urad dal sabut, also known as black lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ghee
- ¾ cup tomato puree
- ¾ teaspoon garam masala, divided
- ½ teaspoon dried mango powder, also known as amchur
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons ghee
- 4-5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 whole dried red chilies
- Wash the dal and add it to you slow cooker along with 3 cups water, turmeric powder and salt.
- Add 2 teaspoons ghee, ginger garlic paste and give a stir.
- Mix everything and slow cook for 8 hours. I used normal setting on my slow cooker mode on my Instant Pot.
- After 8 hours the dal will be soft and cooked. Take a masher and mash the dal.
- Add ½ teaspoon garam masala, amchur, red chili powder and mix.
- Add tomato puree and mix.
- Finally add in the butter and mix and slow cook for 2-3 hours again. After the dal has slow cooked for 2-3 hours, add ¼ cup heavy cream to it.
- Heat 2 teaspoons ghee. Once ghee has melted add chopped garlic and whole red chilies.
- Saute on medium heat till the garlic starts turning light golden brown.
- Transfer tempering to dal. Add remaining ¼ teaspoon garam masala, little lemon juice and mix.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve this slow cooker dal makhani with naan or rice.
Slow Cooker Dal Makhani