Anyone who knows me knows that pepper particularly green pepper is my favorite vegetable. In India, we have a different name for peppers – it’s called capsicum. Funny how same thing has different names in different countries.
Anyway so I have always been addicted to the aroma of bell peppers. I remember whenever I would find some veggie boring or plain, all mom had to do was add some pepper to it and bingo I would eat it happily. Whenever I would go over to someone’s place for dinner, green pepper will always be there on the menu. My love for pepper is quite famous you see. And why green pepper? because that’s what we used to get in India back then. Now of course you get the yellow and red versions too but when I was in school, only green pepper was readily available.
So now that you know my love for peppers, it’s obvious that I’m always looking out for ways to make this vegetable in different ways. Back home I was a huge fan of my maami’s (mom’s brother wife) stuffed green pepper. She would stuff them with spiced potato mixture and cook them in a pan – they were so good! Oh I miss eating them as I write this!
I tried to recreate the same dish even though I baked it in stead of cooking in a pan. In India we get very small green peppers and so we would just remove the top of the pepper and stuff it with the filling but here the peppers are so huge that I thought of slicing them down into 2. You can very well stuff the entire pepper if you don’t mind eating the whole thing at one go. I did this just because it looked convenient to me to eat them this way.
I sprinkled some cheese on top which is totally optional. Serve hot with any Indian flatbread. If you love pepper like me then you should definitely try this.
Baked Stuffed Green & Red Peppers
- 2 large peppers green or red
- oil to brush the pepper
- 3 potatoes medium, boiled
- ¼ cup green peas
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp red chili powder or to taste
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp dry mango powder
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tsp oil
- mozzarella cheese to sprinkle on top
- salt to taste
- Cut the peppers into half, remove the seeds and set aside.
- Boil the potatoes and mash them using a potato masher.
- Add cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, red chilli powder, dry mango powder, salt to the mashed potatoes and mix.
- Drizzle 2 tsp of oil and also add in the peas and chopped coriander leaves. The stuffing mixture is now ready.
- Take enough of the potato mixture and stuff the pepper with it.
- Sprinkle some cheese on top (optional)
- Brush the stuffed peppers with little oil and place them on a baking tray.
- Bake at 350 F degrees for 25-30 minutes or till the peppers have softened.
- Serve hot with any Indian flatbread.
5 thoughts on “Baked Stuffed Green & Red Peppers”
I am too a capsicum lover!!
These look so inviting!!
You know what, I still love the name capsicum most! 😉 And this stuffed capsicum is one of my favorites! I will only need a plain paratha, and I can call it a HAPPY MEAL! Lovely share, Manali! 😉
haha yes capsicum it is for us, always! thanks dear!