Simple Blueberry Chia Jam using the fresh blueberries in season!
This jam is made in the Instant Pot and sweetened with maple syrup making it refined sugar free.
Fruits are in abundance during this time of the year. We went to our farmers market last week and got lots of fresh fruits.
The farmers market felt so different this year with all the safety rules but the produce was still amazing, like it usually is.
We got lots of blueberries from a local farm and I used some to make this super simple Blueberry Chia Jam.
It’s such a simple recipe, takes no time to put together and goes well with so many things.
I have always been a jam person. Even when I was a kid, I would always ask mom to give me “bread and jam” and not bread and butter for my lunch box.
Things still haven’t changed much. I love my morning toast with jam, my favorite ones are strawberry, blueberry and pineapple!
And while I do enjoy the ones I get from stores, I also realize that most of them are packed with sugar.
So, in order to reduce the sugar consumption a bit, making jams at homes seems like a reasonable option.
Making Jam at Home
– gives you the option to control the amount of sugar that goes in the jam.
– you can even make the jam refined-sugar free.
– homemade jam is free of preservatives.
This Blueberry Chia Jam is so easy to make in the Instant Pot. You just have to add everything to the IP and let it do it’s thing.
This jam requires only 3 basic ingredients (not counting the water and lemon juice)-
Blueberries- I have used fresh blueberries here but frozen should also work. If you do use frozen blueberries, I would recommend simmering the jam on “saute” for a bit so that all excess water evaporates.
Maple syrup- that is the sweetener that I have used in this jam recipe. Honey should also work and sugar should be fine too. Adjust the quantity of sweetener to taste. This jam isn’t very sweet but if you prefer a sweeter jam, just increase the amount of maple syrup in the recipe.
Chia seeds- these chia seeds make the jam thick. 3 tablespoons of chia seeds worked fine for the consistency I was looking for. The jam has a nice spreadable consistency without being too thick.
However, if you prefer thicker jam, you can add additional 1-2 tablespoons of chia seeds.
Chia seeds not only act as a thickener, but are also rich in protein, fiber, Omega-3 fatty acids and anti-oxidants.
The rest two ingredients are lemon juice (it helps in balancing the flavors) and of course little water. That’s about it.
Storing the Blueberry Chia Jam
I keep mine in the refrigerator and it stays well for 2 weeks. I have not tried storing beyond that time (since it usually gets over by then).
Do keep it refrigerated, this jam is not shelf stable.
This jam is good on toast (of course!) and also good on crackers, pancakes, waffles.
I even stir it in oatmeal and yogurt. You can even put in top of ice cream.
If you’ve tried this Blueberry Chia Jam Recipe then don’t forget to rate the recipe! You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram to see what’s latest in my kitchen!
Instant Pot Blueberry Chia Jam
- 18 oz blueberries around 3 heaping cups
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice 15 ml
- 1 tablespoon water 15 ml
- 3-4 tablespoons maple syrup 45-60 ml, to taste
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- To the instant pot, add blueberries, lemon juice, water and maple syrup. Stir everything together.
- Close the lid and press the manual or pressure cook button. Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes with the pressure valve in the sealing position. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Open the pot and mash the blueberries slightly with a masher.
- Stir in the chia seeds.
- Mix with a whisk. Unplug the instant pot and cover it with a glass lid. Jam will thicken as it cools down. Enjoy with toast, on pancakes and store the jam in the refrigerator.
- The nutritional value is of 1 cup of this jam.
- This jam is not very sweet, if you prefer sweet jams, add more of the maple syrup.
9 thoughts on “Instant Pot Blueberry Chia Jam”
Can we use sugar instead of maple syrup?
Where did you get that jar?
I think amazon!
I forgot to mention I use frozen blueberries.
Awesome. This is my go too recipe. I used no sugar or artificial sweetener except for the maple syrup. I used Cary’s. I will try this recipe for other fruits.
If we do not find fresh blueberries, can we try the frozen ones??
if you read the post, you will find your answer. yes you may
Would love to try