This Instant Pot Minestrone Soup is super comforting on a cold winter day. One pot, gets done in 30 minutes and is vegan.
If you love all the Instant Pot vegetarian/vegan recipes that I share on the blog, please join me on this Facebook Group – Instant Pot Vegetarian Recipes. The group shares/features vegetarian instant pot recipes and ideas from all around the web!
Soups are one thing I am most drawn to during winters. In fact, you can give me soup for dinner every day of the week and I would not complain. I especially like soups which are hearty and filling.
A bowl of simple tomato soup might not cut it for me (I will feel hungry!) and then I would need a sandwich or salad to fill myself up. But a soup like minestrone? It’s so filling on it’s own.
Of course I could never say to a side of ciabatta but it’s just as good without it. This Instant Pot Minestrone soup is my new favorite. So easy, one-pot meal that comes together in a snap!
What is Minestrone Soup
It’s an Italian soup made with beans, veggies and pasta. It’s very comforting and absolutely delicious.
There is no right or wrong way to make minestrone. You can swipe ingredients in the recipe as per your taste and availability!
Beans- you can use any beans you have on hand – kidney beans, cannellini, northern beans. Chickpeas will also work.
Veggies- again you can use whatever is in season and whatever you have on hand – potatoes, squash, green beans, kale, carrots, spinach, onion. They all work well in minestrone.
Pasta- small/tiny pasta is preferred. I have used macaroni pasta here but you may use shell pasta, mini farfalle, orzo!
That’s the good part about minestrone soup, it’s so versatile! Traditionally minestrone is little on the thicker side but again you can always adjust as per your preference and taste.
Instant Pot Minestrone Soup Recipe
It’s super easy to make minestrone soup in the Instant Pot. It’s 10 minutes of prep work of chopping and getting everything together and the Instant Pot takes care of the rest.
Basically you add everything to the pot and cook it on high pressure until done. Easy peasy!
✓ is the perfect meal for busy days
✓ gets done in 30 minutes
✓ no baby sitting needed while soup cooks in the Instant Pot
I have kept this soup vegan but if you like, you can add grated parmesan cheese to the soup. It really makes it super delicious! I like buying vegetarian parmesan from Whole Foods and sprinkle over my minestrone.
Unfortunately, I ran out of it the day I was making this soup but you can very well add it. If you wish to keep it vegan, just make it as it is and then serve with nutritional yeast.
Freezing Minestrone Soup
Can you freeze this instant pot minestrone soup? Yes you can!
Just let the soup completely and then freeze individual portions in freezer bags (take out as much air as possible from the bags before freezing). You can also use glass bowl with plastic lids for freezing.
Always remember to freeze in individual portions [1-2 servings] so that’s its easier to thaw when needed. Also, always remember to put a date on your freezer bag/container.
I always used to think that oh I would remember and would never put dates while freezing stuff and I always forgot! So trust me, you will forget. Use a marker to put a date before freezing.
The soup will last in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days and in the freezer for 3 months.
How to Serve Minestrone Soup
The best pairing is obviously ciabatta- classic rustic Italian bread but any rustic bread will go well with this soup.
You can also make a nice salad to go along with it or some crispy roasted potatoes. Yum!
1- Press the saute button on the Instant Pot. Once it displays hot, add onion, garlic and celery and bay leaf to the pot. Cook for 2 minutes until onions are soft, stirring often.
2- Then add the diced carrot and rinsed and drained northern beans.
3- Add the crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth and pasta.
4- And then the Italian seasoning, dried rosemary, black pepper, salt and red chili flakes.
5- Stir to mix everything and then close the pot with its lid. Press the pressure cook/manual button and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes with the pressure valve in the sealing position.
6- Do a quick pressure release by manually moving the pressure valve from sealing to venting position. Open the pot and give it a stir. Press the saute button.
7- Add in the baby spinach leaves. Stir for 2 minutes until the leaves wilt.
8- Squeeze in fresh lemon juice. You may adjust the consistency of soup at this point. Add more broth for a thinner soup.
Serve warm minestrone soup with a side of rustic bread!
More Hearty Soups on The Blog!
Instant Pot Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
If you’ve tried this Instant Pot Minestrone Soup Recipe then don’t forget to rate the recipe! You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram to see what’s latest in my kitchen!
Instant Pot Minestrone Soup
- 1 tablespoon oil 15 ml, I used avocado oil
- 1 medium sweet onion 120 grams, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 celery stalk chopped
- 2 large carrots 160 grams, diced
- 15 oz can northern beans drained & rinsed, or use cannellini beans or kidney beans, 1 3/4 cup cooked beans
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth 32 oz, I like Pacific Brand (can add more depending on the consistency of minestrone you prefer)
- 1/2 cup macaroni pasta 65 grams
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 cups baby spinach tightly packed, 2-3 oz
- half lemon juice of
- nutritional yeast optional, to sprinkle
- Press the saute button on the Instant Pot. Once it displays hot, add onion, garlic and celery and bay leaf to the pot. Cook for 2 minutes until onions are soft, stirring often.
- Then add the diced carrot and rinsed and drained northern beans.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth and pasta.
- And then the Italian seasoning, dried rosemary, black pepper, salt and red chili flakes.
- Stir to mix everything and then close the pot with its lid. Press the pressure cook/manual button and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes with the pressure valve in the sealing position.
- Do a quick pressure release by manually moving the pressure valve from sealing to venting position. Open the pot and give it a stir. Press the saute button.
- Add in the baby spinach leaves. Stir for 2 minutes until the leaves wilt.
- Squeeze in fresh lemon juice. You may adjust the consistency of soup at this point. Add more broth for a thinner soup.
- Serve warm minestrone soup with a side of rustic bread!
24 thoughts on “Instant Pot Minestrone Soup”
This is the easiest and most delicious minestrone recipe. Thanks Manali. You always have such good recipes
glad to hear Manju! 🙂
Can this be made with chickpea or lentils pasta to make it gluten free? If so, what changes need to be made?
should work, I would cook for the same amount of time