This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #HuntsHasHeart #CollectiveBias
Easy and wholesome Three Bean Curry! Packed with nutrients, this curry is vegan, gluten-free and good for you!
Do you guys know it snowed like crazy here in Seattle last 2 days? I have never seen this kind of snow here, almost 8 inches! That might not be a lot for places that get a lot of snow usually but for a place like Seattle which hardly gets any snow, it was a lot! And as expected everything just shut down. Schools were closed, hubby couldn’t go to work and I had to even cancel my doctors appointment. But I have to say, it looked so pretty! Absolutely beautiful and I felt like I was in winter wonderland.
Because obviously it was that cold, I had to opt for comforting food and for me there’s nothing more comforting than this Vegan Three Bean Curry! It’s wholesome, delicious and good for you and is made easy using Hunt’s Tomatoes.
You guys know I grew up eating beans and lentils of all kind. It’s a staple in north Indian diet and we ate it every week. They are really filling, nutritious and good for your heart too, which remind me that February is Heart Health month. I am all about eating food which is good for your heart and beans just fit into that category. They are rich in fiber, potassium and help in reducing cholesterol and blood pressure which obviously means that you need to eat them for a good heart health. And while talking about heart month, Hunt’s is donating $50,000 to the American Heart Association this month. I think that’s such a great thing, we all need to do as much as we can to promote heart health. And since I am food blogger, I will do my bit for this cause and share with you this healthy vegan three bean curry recipe.
To make this vegan three bean curry, I used 3 kinds of beans & hence the name! The beans that I used were – black beans, kidney beans and white beans. You may use pinto beans or even chickpeas would be great here. I have used some very basic spices here along with Hunt’s Fire Roasted tomatoes, which I picked from my local Walmart. They are my absolute favorite, I love the little spice kick they impart to the dish. Don’t forget to take advantage of the ibotta offer and SAVE $1 when you buy 4 Hunt’s canned tomatoes!
I have not used a lot of coconut milk in this recipe, just very little. Traditionally coconut milk is not even used in North Indian curry recipes so I just added little for the taste. If you love the coconut flavor, feel free to add more. And now let’s see how easy it really is to make this curry.
Heat oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
Then add chopped onions, green chili and saute for 2 minutes or till onions turn translucent. You may add little salt to the onions while frying them.
Add grated ginger and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes or till the raw smell goes away.
Add Hunt’s canned tomato to the pan. Stir and cook for 4-5 minutes.
Then add salt, curry powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, garam masala and mix. Cook the spices with the tomato for an additional 3-4 minutes.
Stir in the 3 kinds of beans and mix. Cover the pan and let it all cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
Add water, coconut milk and stir to combine. Adjust salt at this point.
Let the curry simmer for 5 more minutes and then add chopped cilantro.
Squeeze in some fresh lemon juice.
Serve this vegan three bean curry hot with rice or any bread of choice!
Which is your favorite healthy and “good for your heart” recipe? I would love to know! Let me know in the comments section below.
* Adjust the consistency of curry to preference. Add more water or coconut milk for a thinner curry.
* Adjust spice levels to taste.
I found Hunt’s Tomatoes and all the fresh produce that I used in this recipe at my local Walmart!
Vegan Three Bean Curry
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 14 oz can of Hunt's Fire Roasted Diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup black beans canned, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup kidney beans canned, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup white beans canned, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- salt to taste
- 1-1.5 cups water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- juice of half lemon
- Heat oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Then add chopped onions, green chili and saute for 2 minutes or till onions turn translucent. You may add little salt to the onions while frying them.
- Add grated ginger and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes or till the raw smell goes away.
- Add Hunt's canned tomato to the pan. Stir and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Then add salt, curry powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, garam masala and mix. Cook the spices with the tomato for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the 3 kinds of beans and mix. Cover the pan and let it all cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add water, coconut milk and stir to combine. Adjust salt at this point.
- Let the curry simmer for 5 more minutes and then add chopped cilantro.
- Squeeze in some fresh lemon juice.
- Serve this vegan three bean curry hot with rice or any bread of choice!
Vegan Three Bean Curry
55 thoughts on “Vegan Three Bean Curry”
Loved this and the fact that is vegan so full of flavor. My brother also made this after I shared it with him and he loved it too. Looking forward to trying out more of your recipes. Thanks!
Love your recipes, made so many! Wanted to comment that I couldn’t find green chillies that are typically used in Asian cooking, so I researched a bit and used serrano instead. It worked perfectly! Used about half of a serrano, sliced thinly, and it gave the curry a delicious warmness. Thanks for sharing these recipes with us
Thanks Paige! yes serrano work well. And you can find thai chilies which are used in Indian cooking at all Indian grocery stores!
Manali this was DELICIOUS .. super clean and healthy ingredients that smell so fresh and make me feel like I’m nourishing my body with super healthy natural foods . I love layering on the flavors . I also sautéed in water to keep things healthy . I used trio chilli beans from a can to make it super easy and server alongside Quinoa to keep it as healthy as possible . I also love cilantro so I chopped up a whole bushel . This is one of my faves i make it weekly . So happy to have discovered ur cooking !! 🙂