Things you will need
- All Purpose Flour/maida
- Cardamom Powder
- Baking Powder
- Vanilla Extract
- Saffron Strands
- Sliced Almond/Cashew
Mawa Cake is a cake with an Indian touch. It is made using ingredients commonly used in Indian sweets like mawa (also known as khoya), saffron and cardamom.
The cake is popular in Parsi/Irani bakery shops in Mumbai and Pune. It is made from mawa which is nothing but dried whole milk. Mawa is used to make a lot of Indian sweets like peda,gulab jamun and making a cake out of it feels like you are eating a cake cum mithai!
I baked this cake when I was trying to come up with a recipe for my in-laws who were visiting us from India. They aren’t too fond of chocolates and regular flavors seemed too common and so I attempted this. The cake turned out quite well and everyone enjoyed eating it.
Look how soft and buttery it looks.
The main ingredient of mawa cake is but obviously mawa which is often prepared at home and is also easily available in India. But if you are staying abroad it mind not be readily available. Many people use ricotta cheese/ milk powder/ condensed milk as a substitute for mawa but in my opinion using mawa just elevates the taste so much. You can also prepare it quickly at your home by using milk powder and heavy cream.
I got frozen mawa from the Indian grocery store in my city. Mawa Cake is delicious and I am definitely going to make this again. This cake is as Indian as it can get!
Here’s how you make this cake.
- All purpose flour/maida: 1 cup
- Sugar: ⅔ cup + 2 tbsp
- Butter, unsalted: ½ cup [ 1 stick], at room temperature
- Mawa: ½ cup, crumbled
- Eggs: 2
- Milk: 6 tbsp
- Cardamom Powder: ¼th tsp
- Baking Powder: ¾th tsp
- Salt: ⅛th tsp
- Vanilla extract: ¼th tsp
- Saffron strands: 6-7, soaked in 1 tsp water
- Sliced Almond/Cashew: ¼th cup, for garnishing
- Preheat your oven at 350 F [180 C].
- Grease a 8 inch round pan or line it with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Roast the mawa in a pan for few minutes. Roast till you get a nice aroma and the mawa turns light golden brown.
- Sieve together all purpose flour, baking powder, cardamom powder, salt and set aside.
- In the meanwhile, soak some saffron strands in 1 tsp of water.
- Take butter and sugar in a bowl and using your blender, cream till the mixture becomes soft and fluffy.
- Add in the roasted mawa next and using your mixer, incorporate the mawa into the butter and sugar so that everything comes together.
- Beat the eggs and add it to the mix, also add the vanilla essence.
- The saffron goes in next, it not only gives a wonderful flavor to the cake but also gives it a nice color.
- Now add in the flour mixture and milk alternatively in 3 parts, starting and ending with flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread some sliced almonds on top. You can use any nut of your choice here.
- Bake the cake at 350 F for 25-30 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool before cutting into slices.