It has long been established that peanut butter and chocolate are meant for each other! I am sure you are aware of this, in case you aren’t you really don’t know what you have been missing out in life, seriously! They are incredible together. Whenever I think of peanut butter I instantly think of chocolates and vice versa so when I thought of making this peanut butter granola how could I have possible missed out on chocolate chips? Not possible!
I have always loved eating granola for breakfast, the reason? It’s like eating dessert for breakfast! While I do like the ones we get from store you can experiment so much when you make granola at home. You can add in whatever you like, increase the protein content, make them less sweet – the possibilities are endless. While I do like all types of granola, anything with peanut butter has to be my favorite.
Like i said I couldn’t have made peanut butter granola without chocolate but to make things a bit more interesting, I also added little shredded sweetened coconut. It just made the granola even more appetizing. This granola has 5 main ingredients, these are –
- Peanut Butter
- Chocolate Chips
- Shredded Coconut
- Rolled Oats
- Coconut Oil
The remaining 2, vanilla & cinnamon powder are optional but recommended. When you bake this granola you have to stir and flip it after every 10 minutes, so that it bakes evenly from all sides. Also don’t panic when you take the granola out and it still looks soft. Let it cool down at room temperature for around 45 minutes, it will crisp up as it cools down!
To make it even more crispier, you can decrease the amount of peanut butter and honey.
This recipe calls for rolled oats and you cannot substitute it with quick oats. I know it’s difficult to get rolled oats in India, during my trip this time I looked around at a lot of stores but all they had was quick oats. If you know where we can get rolled oats in Delhi, do let me know so that I get my hands on them during my next trip!
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 325 F degrees
In a bowl whisk together rolled oats and cinnamon powder. Set aside.
In a pan combine together peanut butter, honey, vanilla and coconut oil.
Put this pan on medium heat stirring continuously till it all forms a smooth mixture.
Pour this mixture over the oats and mix till all oats are moistened.
Spread the oats on to the baking sheet in a single layer.
Bake at 325 F degrees for around 30 minutes, stirring the oats after every 10 minutes. After 30 minutes take the granola out of then oven and allow it to cool for an hour. Then add the chocolate chips and shredded coconut and give a final mix.
Snack on the granola or eat it with milk for breakfast!
* To cut down on the sweetness and also to make the granola even more crispier, decrease the honey and peanut butter to 1/3 cup.
* The amount of chocolate chips and coconut can be adjusted to taste. If you can’t have enough of chocolates, add more!
* The rolled oats in this recipe cannot be substituted with quick oats.
* To make this vegan, use maple syrup in place of honey.
Serves: 5 cups
- 3.25 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup peanut butter, creamy
- ½ cup honey
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup shredded coconut, sweetened
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 F degrees.
- In a bowl whisk together rolled oats and cinnamon powder. Set aside.
- In a pan combine together peanut butter, honey, vanilla and coconut oil.
- Put this pan on medium heat stirring continuously till it all forms a smooth mixture.
- Pour this mixture over the oats and mix till all oats are moistened.
- Spread the oats on to the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake at 325 F degrees for around 30 minutes, stirring the oats after every 10 minutes.
- After 30 minutes take the granola out of then oven and allow it to cool for an hour.
- Add the chocolate chips and shredded coconut and give a final mix.
- Store the granola in an airtight container.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Coconut Granola