Light and delicious this Blackberry and Apple Crumble is a great way to eat all those blackberries in season. The juicy apples add a nice texture making it the perfect dessert for spring and summer!
As far as I can remember, I have always been a fruit person. I love fruits of all kinds, yes I have a few favorites like lychee and watermelon but overall I am a fruit fan. I especially enjoy the seasonal fruits that you get in the farmers market. Yeah, you do get the berries all year round but the ones around spring and summer are more delicious and not to mention cheaper as well. As soon as the berry season starts, I get these huge boxes from Costco. And if you have been those boxes, you would know they are quite big for 2 people to finish. I mean it’s okay if it’s the only fruit you get but because I love fruits so much, I always have at least 4-5 types of fruits in my refrigerator at one time.
Few days back, I got these huge boxes of strawberries, blueberries and blackberries from Costco. I ate some, made this blueberry cooler and also made this blackberry and apple and crumble. Crumble and crisp are really the easiest desserts that you can make, absolutely no prep work required. Also, they are such perfect desserts for warmer days. Combining apples with blackberries, gives this crumble a really nice texture, so I really insist on not skipping the apples.
I am not sure if oats are traditionally a part of crumble but I added them anyway. Doesn’t matter, the bottom line is that the crumble was wonderful and you must make it this summer!
Peel, core and slice the apple. Toss the sliced apple with black berries, cornstarch and sugar in a bowl.
Once everything is combined, transfer the apple and blackberry mixture to a skillet.
In another bowl, combine flour, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder, rolled oats and coconut or brown sugar. Add in chopped pecans and cranberries.
Drizzle melted butter and mix with a fork to form crumble.
Spread the crumble topping evenly on top of the fruits in the skillet. Sprinkle zest of a lemon on top.
Bake at 350 F degrees for 40-45 minutes or till the topping in golden brown and fruits and cooked and bubbly.
Serve the blackberry and apple crumble with vanilla ice cream on the side and enjoy!
* Use 2 apples in case you don’t have those big apples. The apple I used was quite big.
Blackberry and Apple Crumble
- 1 large apple peeled, cored & sliced or used 2 medium apples
- 1 cup blackberries fresh
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg powder
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 3-4 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- zest of 1 small lemon
- vanilla ice cream for serving
- Peel, core and slice the apple. Toss the sliced apple with black berries, cornstarch and sugar in a bowl.
- Once everything is combined, transfer the apple and blackberry mixture to a skillet.
- In another bowl, combine flour, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder, rolled oats and coconut or brown sugar. Add in chopped pecans and cranberries.
- Drizzle melted butter and mix with a fork to form crumble.
- Spread the crumble topping evenly on top of the fruits in the skillet. Sprinkle zest of a lemon on top.
- Bake at 350 F degrees for 40-45 minutes or till the topping in golden brown and fruits and cooked and bubbly.
- Serve the apple and blackberry crumble with vanilla ice cream on the side and enjoy!
Blackberry and Apple Crumble
26 thoughts on “Blackberry and Apple Crumble”
What a gorgeous crumble Manali!! I love the blackberry and apples here, would’ve never thought of using those together.
Thank you Jessica
Wow. Those are some seriously gorgeous blackberries, and I’m sure they made the best crumble! I love crumble. Cannot ever get enough, especially when a scoop of vanilla ice cream is on top!
I am just loving all of the fresh berries back in the markets! One of my favorite things about spring and summer. This crumble looks SO yummy, Manali! I really like how you added apples too! Will be perfect with some homemade ice cream! Mmm, can’t wait to try it!
I am definitely a fruit girl too, Manali. Especially this time of year, I find myself adding fruit to all the things – sweet and savory. And I happen to LOOOOVE crumbles! So I totally feel like you made this just for me. 😉 Hehe. This looks delicious, dear! Love the blackberry and apple combo! Drooling! Cheers, dear!
My top favourite!! Need to make some this weekend too.
Crumble is my all time favorite! Looks delicious and the photos are terrific!!
This crumble looks so beautiful Manali! Blackberry and apple is my favourite combination! So delicious! I can’t wait to try this. The photos are amazing too, pinned! <3
I really need to get some of those boxes at Costco. This is the perfect way to use the fruit. Crumbles always remind me of summer, and I love the combo of blackberries and apples!