Here’s yet another Indian cookie recipe that I am sharing on my blog – Butter Cookies With Cashews & Almonds. I especially call these Indian cookies because this is how cookies in India are supposed to be – crispy and crunchy and a total contrast to cookies in USA. Also unlike the USA cookies these are often relished with tea and are less sweet in taste.
I used all purpose flour, almond flour and cashew flour to make these cookies. You do get almond and cashew flour in stores in US but you can easily make them at home too. I had almond flour in my pantry so I used it straight away from the packet in this recipe but I did grind the cashews in my food processor to get the cashew flour. I also want to mention here that almond meal/flour/powder are often used interchangeably and often mean the same thing [though technically almond meal has coarse almond pieces and flour in the fine grind version]
The cookies were baked for 25 minutes because I wanted them to be crisp and crunchy. For softer cookies bake them for a lesser time even though if you want to have them with tea [like I do] then I highly recommend baking them for 25 minutes.
If you love butter cookies, then these cookies will soon become your favorite. Enjoy these crispy cookies by dipping them in hot tea – so good!
* Skip the salt if using salted butter.
* Using butter extract is optional, if you can’t find it just don’t add any extract.
Butter Cookies With Cashews & Almonds
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup almond meal or flour
- ¼ cup cashew meal or flour
- ½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon butter extract optional
- cashews to decorate the cookies
- almonds to decorate the cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the steel bowl of your stand mixer or using hand mixer cream together the butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy.
- Add the all purpose flour in 2 parts and mix until fully incorporated. Also add the butter extract.
- Add the almond flour, cashew flour, salt and mix till the mixture comes together as a dough.
- Wrap the dough with a cling sheet and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle some flour on a flat surface or wooden floor and shape the dough like a flat disc.
- Using a roller, roll the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutter.
- Press a cashew and an almond each on alternate cookies (optional).
- Place the cookies in a baking tray and bake at 350 F degrees for 20-25 minutes or till light they are golden brown from sides and also from the bottom.
- Place on wire rack to cool completely.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container.