Cabbage With Green Peas – Patta Gobhi Matar
Aug 05, 2014, Updated Nov 19, 2019
Cabbage and green peas sauteed with onions and Indian spices.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
I am going to share some simple recipes on my blog from now on especially Indian recipes. I thought it would help people who are new to Indian cooking. I can’t believe I have not posted a single lentil (dal) recipe on my blog when I eat it daily! So get ready for more lentil recipes very soon. This is what I eat on a regular basis and this is what I have grown up eating, simple veggies sauteed with onion/tomatoes and spices.
This recipe is super simple, there’s nothing remotely fancy about it. Chopped cabbage and frozen peas are stir fried with onion and some basic Indian spices. This is comfort food for me and I like to eat it with a simple roti (whole wheat bread). I chopped the cabbage finely but usually people chop it lengthwise so you can do either way. Also I used frozen peas because that’s what is available here. You can use fresh peas but will need to boil them first till they are little soft.
Heat oil in pan. Once hot add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
Add the onion and curry leaves once the seeds crackle.
Saute till the onion looks translucent. Add the chopped cabbage.
Add in salt, turmeric, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Mix to combine, make sure all the cabbage is coated with the spices.
Next add in the peas and mix. Cover and cook on medium heat till the cabbage is soft, around 5-6 minutes.
Sprinkle chat masala or garam masala on top and mix. Add in the lemon juice (optional).
Serve hot with Indian breads like roti or paratha.
So even if you are new to Indian cooking, this is one fuss-free recipe that you can easily make.
- Cabbage: 1 medium - finely chopped [around 5 cups of finely chopped cabbage]
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons peas
- 1 onion regular
- 4-5 curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼ + ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- ¾ teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- chat masala or garam masala to sprinkle
- salt to taste
- 1.5 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice optional
- Heat oil in pan. Once hot add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add the onion and curry leaves once the seeds crackle. Saute till the onion looks translucent.
- Once the onion is translucent, add the chopped cabbage.
- Add in salt, turmeric, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Mix to combine, make sure all the cabbage is coated with the spices.
- Next add in the peas and mix.
- Cover and cook on medium heat till the cabbage is soft, around 5-6 minutes.
- Sprinkle chat masala/garam masala on top and add in the lemon juice (optional). Mix till well combined.
- Serve hot with Indian breads like roti or paratha.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.