It takes only 10 minutes to make this candy cane puppy chow and it’s perfect for Holiday entertaining!
Christmas is this Friday! Eeeks, how did that happen? I just keep telling myself everyday that 2015 is almost over, it’s really hard to believe! This year went by in a blink of an eye. I still remember that we thought of buying a house in February this year and then next 3 month were completely crazy with the whole house hunting thing. And then the next months just flew by with all the shifting, packing, unpacking, buying tons of stuff for the house etc. Anyway I guess I should accept the fact that 2015 is over and start making plans for new year. So what are you guys doing for New Years? I don’t really have any plans, would just be relaxing at home. That’s my idea of celebrating new year, how boring I know!
But if you aren’t boring like me and planning a holiday or new years party then I have got the perfect snack recipe for you today. This candy cane puppy chow is just what you need for Holiday entertaining. And the best part? You only need 3 ingredients to make these, yes only 3! I love easy recipes with minimal ingredients especially when there’s so much to do around the holidays. Agree?
To make this you only need to melt the chocolate and add it to the chex cereal. I prefer using candy melts or melting chocolate rather than chocolate chips here. The chocolate chips aren’t meant for melting so they don’t always melt well. You can use any melting chocolate here, I personally love the Ghirardelli Melting Wafers and you can find them at any grocery store.
I did not roll the cereal into powdered sugar since I wanted my candy cane puppy chow to look brown and not white in color. But you can surely do it as a last step. I have to say that this stuff is pretty addictive. I just couldn’t stop snacking on it! You can serve it at your Holiday parties or also give as gifts to your friends!
* You can use white chocolate in place of milk chocolate, it would be equally delicious!
Recipe adapted from here.
Candy Cane Puppy Chow
- 4 cups chex cereal
- 8 oz melting chocolate or candy melts [i used milk chocolate]
- ½ cup crushed candy cane
- Pour chex cereal into a large bowl.
- Melt candy melts in the microwave stirring every 30 seconds or melt it over stop top on medium low heat. The chocolate should melt completely and be smooth.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the cereal and fold till all the cereal is well coated with chocolate.
- Transfer the chocolate covered cereal into a zip lock bag and add crushed candy canes to it.
- Close the bag and shake till candy cane coats the cereal.
- Remove from bag and transfer the muddy chow to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Let it dry completely and then enjoy!
Candy Cane Puppy Chow