Pasta is everyone’s favorite quick meal. I know we all have those days when we simply don’t know what to cook for dinner and that’s when pasta comes to the rescue. Boil some pasta and toss it up in your favorite sauce and dinner is ready in like 30 minutes or even less. The process obviously becomes quicker if you already have pasta sauce ready to go into the dish. Which brings me to this question – which is your favorite pasta sauce? My absolute favorite is pesto and my other favorite is this chunky arrabbiata sauce.
Arrabbiata sauce is a popular spicy Italian pasta sauce. Now, I am neither an Italian nor I have any expertise in this so I cannot claim this to be authentic. I have made it the way I like it and so I can definitely claim it to be delicious 😉 If you do not like chunky pasta sauce, you can use crushed tomatoes in place. I really love the texture of this chunky arrabbiata sauce in my pasta. And if you also like your pasta sauce on the chunkier side, then you will love this.
Arrabbiata is a spicy sauce and it is for this reason that I like using canned fire roasted tomatoes in this recipe. I love the one from Trader Joe’s but you can use any brand that you prefer. Make this chunky arrabbiata sauce over the weekend or whenever you have some extra time and then simply toss it over your favorite pasta on days when you are short of time to make
* Adjust spice level to taste. Add more chili flakes for a spicier sauce. This wasn’t super spicy as I do not relish very spicy food.
* Let the chunk arrabbiata sauce cool down and then transfer it to a jar, close and store in the referigerator until ready to use.
* Using red bell pepper is optional but I highly recommend it. Adds a lot of flavor.
Chunky Arrabbiata Sauce
- 14.5 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes diced
- 1.5 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves (big), minced
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- ¼ red pepper large
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- In a pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat.
- Once hot, add the chopped onion and red bell pepper and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add minced garlic and dried oregano and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Now add the canned tomato, tomato sauce, sugar, white pepper powder, salt & ground black pepper. Also add red chili flakes.
- Bring it to a boil and then lower the heat to medium-low. Cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add water , check seasoning and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add in the fresh basil, cook for a minute and remove form heat.
- Let the sauce cool down and then store in a airtight jar and keep refrigerated until ready to use.