Make you weekend brunch special with this Coconut Almond Crunch French Toast! Crushed cornflakes gives this french toast an amazing crunchy texture. Serve it with sliced almonds, maple syrup and some fresh strawberries!
So we are back to regular life after the long weekend. The long weekend actually felt pretty short to me, got over so quickly! Isn’t it? That always the thing with holidays, they are never enough. We basically didn’t do much other than some shopping and lazing around. I also made this coconut almond crunch french toast, which my parents really enjoyed.
Actually my dad loved the nutella french toast which I made for him last summer. So much so that when I went to India in December he asked me to make it again and again. So this time, again I wanted to make a french toast for him but you know the same stuff can get boring especially when you are a food blogger. My husband always says, you never make the same thing twice! And it’s true, as a food blogger, I am always interested in making something new. So I asked dad if I could make something new this time, something other than the nutella french toast and he agreed and I ended up making this coconut almond crunch french toast. I was not sure if dad would love this as much as the other one but he did and that definitely made my day!
The inspiration for this french toast comes from a cafe nearby. I had a coconut crunch french toast there once and really liked it. Since then, I have been meaning to make it but somehow it wasn’t happening and so when I got at opportunity to make french toast, I obviously knew what I was going to make. I added my little twist of almond to this coconut crunch french toast and the result was delicious! The french toast gets it crunch from crushed cornflakes, it really gives a nice texture. Drizzle it with lots of maple syrup and eat away.
I always add more cream/milk in my french toast than most people. The reason is that we both can’t eat the french toast if it smells “eggy”, so please adjust to taste. If you love eggs in your french toast, don’t add a lot of liquid like I did.
Crush cornflakes with hands or using a rolling pan. Also crush coconut flakes. Toss them together in a bowl and set aside.
In another bowl add eggs, milk, cream, coconut sugar, almond extract and coconut extract.
Add a pinch of cinnamon powder and mix till everything is well combined.
Meanwhile heat a skillet on medium-high heat and melt butter on it. Dip the sliced bread into the prepared custard. Flip and dip the other side as well.
Place the bread immediately on top on the crushed cornflakes and coconut mixture.
Serve immediately with maple syrup, sliced almonds and fresh strawberries.
* I used challah bread here since that’s really perfect for french toast. But you may use any bread of your choice.
* Add more eggs or less of the milk/cream if you love the flavor of egg in your french toast.
Coconut Almond Crunch French Toast
- 6 thick bread slices, I used challah bead
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, or use granulated sugar
- pinch of cinnamon powder
- 1/2 cup cornflakes
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- coconut flakes
- sliced almonds
- maple syrup
- Crush cornflakes with hands or using a rolling pan. Also crush coconut flakes. Toss them together in a bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl add eggs, milk, cream, coconut sugar, almond extract and coconut extract.
- Add a pinch of cinnamon powder and mix till everything is well combined.
- Meanwhile heat a skillet on medium-high heat and melt butter on it. Dip the sliced bread into the prepared custard. Flip and dip the other side as well.
- Place the bread immediately on top on the crushed cornflakes and coconut mixture.
- Place the french toast on heated griddle once the butter melts. Cook till both sides gets nice golden brown. Repeat with remaining slices.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup, sliced almonds and fresh strawberries.
Coconut Almond Crunch French Toast