Really quick and easy marinara sauce, which takes around 15 minutes from start to finish! Enjoy it over your favorite pizza or pasta!
Start off a new week and it’s also India’s Independence Day! Wishing all my Indian readers a very Happy Independence Day! Needless to say I really miss home on these days. It’s a different feeling being there! My husband really misses flying kites with his friends. Flying kites on Independence Day is quite a thing, especially in Delhi and around. So that is something he misses terribly. He actually once got the kite and manja (the kite string) from the Indian store and tried flying it too but somehow it didn’t work out. And not to forget, it’s no fun flying kites alone, the real fun is when you cut each other’s patang! (patang is hindi for kite). If you are in Delhi on 15th August, you would surely see lots of kites flying high in the sky! I did share a tricolor treat over the weekend to celebrate the occasion so don’t forget to check out the Indian Tricolor Macarons.
This weekend we didn’t do anything special. For a change it was super hot (and thank god for that, at least we get to use our air conditioner!!) and we simply enjoyed the weather doing nothing. Of course I made this easy marinara sauce and then enjoyed homemade pizza. Nothing like pizza over the weekend, they go so well together!
This is how I make my homemade marinara sauce. Now I don’t know if it’s authentic or not but it sure tastes delicious. I love making marinara sauce at home because it’s so super simple and homemade tastes so much better than the store bought. Most of the marinara sauce recipes call for either canned or fresh tomatoes, I like to use both. You can use only canned or only fresh tomatoes too but I just like the taste of both together. You really need only 15 minutes to make this and then your easy marinara sauce is ready to be used over pizzas, pasta and so much more! So next time, you have little extra time in the kitchen, do consider making your own marinara sauce, it will be worth it, I can promise that!
Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot, add chopped garlic.
Saute garlic for few seconds (don’t let it change color) and then chopped fresh tomatoes and canned diced tomatoes. Mix till well combined. Cook for 2 minutes.
Add salt, black pepper, dried oregano, red chili flakes, sugar and mix. Cook for a minute or so.
Remove pan from heat, take your immersion blender and blend the sauce. Or wait for the mixture to cool down a bit and then blend using your regular mixer.
Put pan back on medium heat again. Add fresh basil leaves and let it simmer for 4-5 minutes.
Enjoy this homemade marinara sauce with your favorite recipes!
* Adjust seasoning to taste. You can always add more oregano, red chili flakes as per taste.
* If you wish to use only fresh tomatoes, use around 6 in total. If using canned, use one 28 oz can of tomatoes.
* Store unused marinara sauce in a glass bottle and keep it refrigerated.
Easy Marinara Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5-6 garlic cloves, finely chopped, around 1 heaping tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 x 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt, to taste
- 3-4 basil leaves
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot, add chopped garlic.
- Saute garlic for few seconds (don't let it change color) and then chopped fresh tomatoes and canned diced tomatoes. Mix till well combined. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add salt, black pepper, dried oregano, red chili flakes, sugar and mix. Cook for a minute or so.
- Remove pan from heat, take your immersion blender and blend the sauce. Or wait for the mixture to cool down a bit and then blend using your regular mixer.
- Put pan back on medium heat again. Add fresh basil leaves and let it simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- The marinara sauce is now ready, sprinkle Italian seasoning on top, mix and remove from heat.
Easy Marinara Sauce