Here I present to you my new favorite cookie recipe, incredibly easy to make and it’s flourless and also vegan! I swear it tastes so good that it made me forget my chocolate chip cookies, well almost. There’s a problem though, they are so good that I can’t stop eating them. I think I ate 4 in an hour, no kidding. These cookies melt in your mouth, they are incredibly soft.
So are these healthy? Well there’s still lot of sugar in it but I would say healthier than chocolate chip cookies for sure. There’s no flour and no butter in it, so that makes it comparatively healthier. I am thinking to make these regularly now, they will be good to eat after a run.
Let’s talk a little about how these cookies were made. The base for these cookies is almond butter. I used crunchy unsalted almond butter from Trader Joe’s. You can use any almond butter you want but I prefer using unsalted butter in my cookies. As I write this, I am thinking of making exactly the same cookies using peanut butter. They would taste awesome, anything that has peanut butter in it has to be awesome right? ; )
So to the almond butter we add brown sugar and granulated sugar. Brown sugar gives moisture to the cookies. Can you use 1 cup of brown sugar and skip the granulated sugar? Most certainly but I have to tell you the cookies were super moist with 1/2 cup of brown sugar because I also added 1/4 cup mashed ripe banana to it. The banana makes these cookies so moist that you don’t really need to use 100% brown sugar.
Coming to bananas, use a very ripe banana like the one which has dark brown spots all over, that one. You can probably buy the banana, let it get brown for 5-6 days and then use in this recipe. And you can freeze the remaining bananas – they freeze so well. Peel the ripe banana, cut them into 2-3 slices and put them in a freezer bag. When you need to use them, just take them out of the freezer and thaw. You can then probably make this banana bread, which is always a great breakfast in my opinion.
I try to add chocolate chips wherever possible and you can see I added a lot of it – full 1 cup! I also pressed few additional chocolate chips on top as soon as the cookies came out of the oven. That’s purely optional, it just makes them look prettier. In case you are not a chocolate lover like me you can reduce the amount to maybe 1/2 cup or skip it all together. Also nuts like almonds, pecans can be added to these cookies.
The flourless cookies are very soft when taken out of the oven. Do not try to transfer them to the wire rack right away. Let them stay on the baking sheet for 10-15 minutes before transferring them to the wire rack to cool completely.
The cookies are done in around 20 minutes – 10 minutes preparation time and then 10 minutes for baking. This recipe made 14 large cookies but I used around 2 tablespoon of dough per cookie, you can use 1 tablespoon of dough and get more smaller cookies.
* You can cut down on the sugar if you want. I like my cookies sweet, if you don’t just cut down on the sugar.
Flourless Almond Butter Cookies
- 1 cup almond butter
- Light brown sugar: 1/2 cup Organic Light Brown Sugar - Vegan
- Granulated white sugar: 1/2 cup Organic White Sugar - Vegan
- ¼ cup mashed banana riped
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Vegan chocolate chips: 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips - Vegan
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk together almond butter and both the sugar till smooth.
- Add the mashed banana, baking soda, vanilla extract and mix.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- The mixture will come together as a dough.
- Roll around 2 tablespoon of the dough, flatten it using your palm. Repeat with process till all the dough is over.
- Place the cookies 2 inches apart on the baking tray. The cookies will spread in the oven.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes. Bake for additional 2-3 minutes for crispier cookies.
- Take the tray out of the oven and let the cookies stay on the baking tray for 10-15 minutes before transferring them to wire rack to cool completely.
Flourless Almond Butter Cookies