Guacamole is an avocado based dip which has its origins in Mexico but is now hugely popular worldwide.
I had never heard of avocados while I was in India but in US they are popularly used in salads, sandwiches, dips etc. And the most popular use of avocados is to make guacamole which is tasty, healthy and super easy to make.
Avocados are highly loaded with fats and yet they are one of the healthiest fruits to eat! Confused? Well that’s because they are rich in monounsaturated fatty acid (MUFA) which is the healthy fat. MUFA helps in improving blood cholesterol and also reduces the risk of heart diseases.
The most important thing for making guacamole is to pick ripe avocados. Now how will you know whether an avocado is ripe or not? Press the avocado gently with your hands, if it yields to pressure it is ripe and good to use. If it feels too hard it is still not ripe and if it feels too mushy, then it’s overripe. Also the ripe ones have a darker skin color compared to the unripe ones.
The picture below is of a ripe avocado, perfect for making guacamole.
So now that you know how healthy avocados are let’s get down to the recipe.
My recipe is just like any other guacamole recipe, I have only added few of our spices to give it an Indian twist.
1. Avocado: 1
2. Tomato: 1/2 [chopped with seed and pulp removed]
3. Onion: 1/2 [finely chopped]
4. Chaat Masala: 1/8th tsp
5. Black Salt [Kala Namak]: 1/8th tsp
6. Lime Juice: 1/2 tsp
7: Cilantro: 1 tbsp, chopped
8. Red chilli powder: a pinch
1. Get all the ingredients ready. Cut the avocados and scoop out the pulp. Chop the tomato, onion and cilantro. Take out the seeds and pulp of the tomatoes so that the dip doesn’t become too mushy. Also try to use little hard tomatoes for this.
2. Now take the avocados in a bowl and mash them using a fork. This will be easy to do if your avocado is ripe. Add the chopped onion, tomato and cilantro to it.
3. Now for the Indian twist. Add chaat masala, black salt and red chilli powder to the guacamole. I added only a pinch of red chilli powder, if you like it more hot and spicy, add more.
4. Drizzle some lime or lemon juice on top.
Enjoy the fresh guacamole with chips! [ the most popular combination in US] but if you ask me how I eat it?
I love to use guacamole as a spread on my toast for breakfast. It’s one of those things which you can make quickly for breakfast. It’s so healthy and filling.
So make your fresh guacamole at home and give it an Indian twist for added flavors. You will surely love it.
1. As with any other dish that uses avocado, guacamole too needs to be eaten immediately. It gets brown very quickly. Avacado contains an enzyme called polyphenol oxidase. When it is cut and exposed to air, the enzyme oxidizes and turns it brown. So eat your guacamole when it’s still fresh.
2. Choose ripe avacados for making a good guacamole.
3. Add chopped green chillies to the dip. Traditionally jalapenos are used in this recipe.
4. You can add other spices too like cumin powder or garam masala.
One thought on “Guacamole With Indian Twist”
Manali your recipes are the best, my family really enjoy each one.
You make everything test amazing. Thank you for sharing.