Instant Pot Banana Oatmeal – steel cut oats flavored with banana and made in the instant pot. Just what you need to start your day!
If you love all the Instant Pot vegetarian/vegan recipes that I share on the blog, please join me on this Facebook Group – Instant Pot Vegetarian Recipes. The group would share/feature vegetarian instant pot recipes and ideas from all around the web!
Hey guys, how was the long weekend? Did you guys do a lot of shopping? I didn’t really do much but Sarvesh was online for hours! I think he is little addicted to online shopping. When my dad was here couple of months ago, he was rather surprised to see packages delivered to my house almost everyday. He was like “is this a ritual or something” lol. Anyway so yes hubby must have done lot of shopping, I chose to cook and eat – isn’t that the best?
After all the feasting on Thanksgiving, I thought it would be great to share a healthy-ish recipe with you guys. I know it’s Christmas time and I should be posting some festive food (and I promise I will!) but for now let’s make peace with this Instant Pot Banana Oatmeal. This has been my favorite breakfast for last few weeks. I am someone who has always been a fan of steel cut oats. I prefer them so much over old fashioned oats but I never used to make them and that’s because I had to stand by the stove top for like 30 minutes to get it done and I simply didn’t feel like doing that in the morning.
Well now with Instant pot, things get easier. Honestly, there’s no magic and it would still take time to cook in the IP but I just have to dump everything together and forget about it. And once it’s done, the IP will keep the oatmeal warm until I am ready to eat it. Now this feature I really like and that’s why I have been making this banana oatmeal almost every day for the last few weeks.
This Instant Pot Banana Oatmeal
✓ is nutritious and very filling – seriously a bowl of this oatmeal and you won’t feel hungry for hours!
✓ is packed with warm flavors
✓ considerably easy to make in your Instant Pot, where you just have to dump everything together.
Now, I have tried steel cut oatmeal in my IP on both manual and porridge mode and I have to say, I prefer the porridge mode more. It results in a more creamy oatmeal which I love but you can also use the manual button. Oats will stick to the inner steel pot of your IP, so I always recommend spraying the bottom with a non-stick spray and then adding the water and milk and then top with the oats and not stir. This way there will be minimal sticking. You may also use a pot-in-pot method to cook the oats,I usually just go with my normal steel pot.
For this banana oatmeal, we add half of a mashed banana along with steel cut oats and it gives the oats such a nice sweet flavor. Make sure the banana that you add here is ripe, the firm ones won’t impart a nice banana flavor to the oatmeal. During winters, there’s nothing more comforting than starting your day with a warm bowl of oatmeal and it doesn’t get better than this Instant Pot Banana Oatmeal. Top this instant pot steel cut oats with your favorite toppings – sliced bananas, peanut butter (my favorite), walnuts, dried cranberries, sliced almonds, pecans, coconut flakes!
Spray the steel pot of your Instant Pot with a non-stick spray. Add the following in this order – water, milk, steel cut oats, cinnamon powder.
Add mashed banana on top – do not stir anything.
Close the IP with its lid, make sure the valve is in sealing position. Press the “porridge” button and set the time to 15 minutes. The pre-set time for porridge mode is 20 minutes so you have to use the “-” and “+” button to lower down the time to 15 minutes.
Once 15 minutes are up, you would hear a beep. Release the pressure immediately (aka do a quick release). Open the IP, and now give a good stir to the oatmeal.
Add brown sugar (or sweetener of choice) and mix till well combined.
Add a splash of vanilla extract and mix. Adding vanilla is optional, I love the flavor!
Transfer your warm banana oatmeal into serving bowls and top with sliced bananas, peanut butter, sliced almonds or any other topping of choice. Enjoy!
* Use sweetener of choice – honey, maple syrup would also work well.
* I prefer oats to water ratio of 1:4, you may add less liquid as per your taste and preference.
Instant Pot Banana Oatmeal
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk [use milk of choice, I used 1% fat milk]
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 of a large banana, mashed
- 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar, adjust to taste
- splash of vanilla extract
- peanut butter
- sliced bananas
- Spray the steel pot of your Instant Pot with a non-stick spray.
- Add the following in this order - water, milk, steel cut oats, cinnamon powder.
- Add mashed banana on top - do not stir anything.
- Close the IP with its lid, make sure the valve is in sealing position.
- Press the "porridge" button and set the time to 15 minutes. The pre-set time for porridge mode is 20 minutes so you have to use the "-" and "+" button to lower down the time to 15 minutes.
- Once 15 minutes are up, you would hear a beep. Release the pressure immediately (aka do a quick release). Open the IP, and now give a good stir to the oatmeal.
- Add brown sugar (or sweetener of choice) and mix till well combined.
- Add a splash of vanilla extract and mix. Adding vanilla is optional, I love the flavor!
- Transfer your warm banana oatmeal into serving bowls and top with sliced bananas, peanut butter, sliced almonds or any other topping of choice and enjoy!
Instant Pot Banana Oatmeal