Instant Pot Curried Sweet Potato Chickpea Quinoa – a healthy, wholesome vegan meal made in the Instant Pot.
So easy to put together, vegan and gluten-free! Eat it for lunch/dinner or pack for your lunch-box. Also great for meal-prep.
If you love all the Instant Pot vegetarian/vegan recipes that I share on the blog, please join me on this Facebook Group – Instant Pot Vegetarian Recipes. The group shares/features vegetarian instant pot recipes and ideas from all around the web!
I have been struggling a lot lately with making lunches and dinners.
I can’t remember if I shared this with you guys, but my cousin is visiting us from India. She has been here last 2 weeks and we are having a great time.
However things have been a little busy too. On weekends, we are always travelling so I am not really getting the chance to plan my week. Usually I plan all the blog work on weekends and do the groceries accordingly.
But with us travelling all weekends (we are showing her around), we usually get home at like 10 pm on Sunday and then I have no courage to any planning.
So on one such “grocery shortage” day, I made this Instant Pot Curried Sweet Potato Chickpeas Quinoa! I had some sweet potatoes on hand and so I thought of throwing them with quinoa to make a wholesome meal in my IP. It turned out really good and I had to share the recipe with you guys!
This is what I love about my Instant Pot – the ease with which I can make something so quickly for lunch. It saves me from ordering out. We have been eating out a lot lately so I try to cook at least the lunch at home.
This dish took only 10 minutes of prep time and with in minutes I had something healthy for lunch. As you guys know Sarvesh is not a quinoa fan (at all!) but he ate this. I think I will take that. If he eats quinoa, that itself in a win for me!
This Curried Sweet Potato Chickpea Quinoa
✓ is made quickly in the Instant Pot
✓ vegan and gluten-free meal
✓ great for lunch, dinner and to pack in lunchbox
✓ only needs 10 minutes of prep time
Helpful Tips – I flavored this dish with curry powder and smoked paprika. You can use other spices like if you like the chipotle flavor, add some chipotle powder or if you like it spicy, add cayenne pepper. I personally thought the curry powder went really well here.
Sweet potatoes are delicate veggies and when pressure cooked, they turn to mush very quickly. So always remember to dice them into large pieces – 1 to 2 inches big, so that they retain their shape when pressure cooked.
Although we cook for only 1 minute at high pressure for this recipe, but the natural pressure release takes some time and the sweet potatoes will turn mush if they are diced small. So remember to dice them into big pieces!
To make this dish more nutritious you can add chopped spinach or kale to it. Add at the very end after the pressure has been released. Add and stir until the leaves wilt.
The curry powder that I have used here is not very spicy. If your curry powder is spicy, add less of it. As usual, adjust spice levels to taste.
This Instant Pot Curried Sweet Potato Chickpea Quinoa is an easy healthy vegan meal which is so easy to put together in the Instant Pot. Garnish with chopped cilantro and enjoy!
*Wash quinoa several times under running water before using in the recipe. This helps in getting rid of that bitter taste.
1- Press the saute button on the Instant Pot. Once it displays hot, add the oil to the pot and then add the chopped garlic and onion. Saute for 3 minutes until onions are softened.
2- Add the rinsed and drained quinoa to the pot and saute for 2 more minutes.
3- Then add the spices – curry powder, smoked paprika and cumin and saute for few seconds.
4- Add the chickpea, sweet potato, red pepper and stir.
5- Add in the water, salt and close the Instant Pot with its lid.
6- Press the manual or pressure cook button with the pressure valve in the sealing position. Cook on high pressure for 1 minute. Let the pressure release naturally.
7- Open the lid and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Add cilantro.
8- Squeeze in some fresh lemon juice and toss to combine.
Serve immediately! You can also store in an air tight container for meal-prep!
If you’ve tried this Instant Pot Curried Sweet Potato Chickpea Quinoa Recipe then don’t forget to rate the recipe! You can also follow me on Facebook and Instagram to see what’s latest in my kitchen!
Instant Pot Curried Sweet Potato Chickpea Quinoa
- 1 tablespoon oil I used olive oil
- 3-4 large garlic cloves chopped
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 cup quinoa 180 grams, uncooked, rinsed very well, I usually rinse quinoa for 1-2 minutes
- 1.25 teaspoon curry powder adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 15 oz can chickpeas rinsed & drained, or use 1.5 cups boiled chickpeas
- 2 medium sweet potatoes 500 grams, diced into 1" or larger pieces
- `1 medium red pepper chopped
- 1.5 cups water 12 oz
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 large lemon juice of
- Wash quinoa several times under running water before using in the recipe. This helps in getting rid of that bitter taste. Set it aside.
- Press the saute button on the Instant Pot. Once it displays hot, add the oil to the pot and then add the chopped garlic and onion. Saute for 3 minutes until onions are softened.
- Add the rinsed and drained quinoa to the pot and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Then add the spices - curry powder, smoked paprika and cumin and saute for few seconds.
- Add the chickpea, sweet potato, red pepper and stir.
- Add in the water, salt and close the Instant Pot with its lid.
- Press the manual or pressure cook button with the pressure valve in the sealing position. Cook on high pressure for 1 minute. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Open the lid and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Add cilantro.
- Squeeze in some fresh lemon juice and serve!
39 thoughts on “Instant Pot Curried Sweet Potato Chickpea Quinoa”
Soooo delicious! First time making this but will definitely make it again.
Super delicious! Don’t let the 1 minute pressure cook time scare you… it really does just take 1 minute. I was amazed.
glad you liked it Jennifer!
How would you make this in a crock pot?
unfortunately I don’t have a crock pot and so I have not tested the recipe in that