Instant Pot Seviyan Kheer (Vermicelli Kheer)
Oct 03, 2019, Updated May 28, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Quick and easy Instant Pot Seviyan Kheer. This is a dump and go recipe which make seviyan kheer in no time.
This will be an easy recipe to make with minimal efforts and zero monitoring during Diwali!
If you love all the Instant Pot vegetarian/vegan recipes that I share on the blog, please join me on this Facebook Group – Instant Pot Vegetarian Recipes. The group would feature vegetarian instant pot recipes from all around the web!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. For more information on my Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.
Other than rice kheer, the other kheer which was often made in my house was Seviyan Kheer.
Seviyan=vermicelli, so for this kheer, seviyan were first roasted in ghee and then cooked in milk and sweetened with sugar.
Very similar to Sheer Khurma except that sheer khurma is more rich with addition of dates and nuts.
Making kheer in the instant pot is truly life changing. This is zero monitoring kheer.
You only have to add everything to the pot and let it do its thing!
With Diwali almost here, we all need some easy dessert recipes. Don’t we?
And nothing easier than this seviyan kheer!
This Instant Pot Seviyan Kheer
✓ is dump and go recipe
✓ has zero monitoring, no baby sitting!
✓ easiest fuss free dessert you can make this festive season
✓ is flavored with rose water and cardamom
✓ is creamy and delicious!
There are two types of vermicelli available in the market, one is roasted and the other is not.
For this recipe, I have used roasted vermicelli because that helps in skipping the step of roasting the seviyan.
This is not to say that you can’t make this kheer if you don’t have roasted one, you definitely can.
But then you will have to first saute the seviyan for 3 to 4 minutes until they turn golden brown and the proceed with rest of the steps.
So if you want to make this really quickly, I highly recommend going with the roasted vermicelli.
This instant pot seviyan kheer recipe can’t get easier, you guys.
I just add everything to the pot and press the porridge button. Now can it get easier than that?
In case the milk curdles: I have never experienced it myself but I have read people saying that the milk sometimes curdles when they cook kheer in the Instant Pot. To make sure that doesn’t happen-
- first do add the little water that I have before adding the milk.
- make sure the lid and sealing ring are completely clean. They should be thoroughly dry have no residue on them.
- it’s better to use two sealing rings- one for savory and other for sweets. This way there will be less chances of leftover residue.
Serving Suggestions for Seviyan Kheer
This is one dessert which tastes great both warm and cold.
I know of people who just love warm kheer and then there are people like me who absolutely love cold kheer!
So serve it warm or cold, it’s great either way!
Before you start make sure the lid and sealing lid and completely clean and dry. There should be no residue else the milk might curdle.
1- To the inner steel pot of your Instant Pot, add water, followed by milk, roasted seviyan and sugar.
2- Add the crushed cardamom pods.
3- Then add the golden raisins.
4- And also add the cashews.
5- Add 1 tablespoon of rose water.
6- Stir and close the pot with the lid. Press the porridge button and set the time to 8 minutes. The pre-set time for porridge mode is 20 minutes so you have to use the “-” and “+” button to lower down the time to 8 minutes.
The pressure valve should be in sealing position. Let the pressure release naturally.
7- Open the pot and press the sauté button. Add additional 1 teaspoon rose water, if using.
8- Simmer on sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until the kheer thickens a bit.
The kheer will continue to thicken as it cools down, so do not thicken it a lot at this point.
Garnish with more nuts and serve Seviyan Kheer warm or cold!
Ingredients/Products used in this recipe
Instant Pot Seviyan Kheer
- 1/2 cup water 4 oz/120 ml
- 3 cups whole milk 24 oz/720 ml
- 1/2 cup roasted vermicelli 50 grams
- 1/3 cup sugar 75 grams
- 3 whole green cardamom pods crushed
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons broken cashews
- 1 tablespoon +1 teaspoon rose water
- Before you begin, make sure that the lid and the sealing ring of the Instant Pot are completely clean and dry. They should have no residue on them.
- To the inner steel pot of your Instant Pot add all the ingredients in this order- water, milk, roasted vermicelli, sugar, cardamom pods, golden raisins, cashews and 1 tablespoon rose water.
- Stir and close the pot with the lid. Press the porridge button and set the time to 8 minutes. The pre-set time for porridge mode is 20 minutes so you have to use the "-" and "+" button to lower down the time to 8 minutes.The pressure valve should be in sealing position. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Open the pot and press the saute button. Add additional 1 teaspoon rose water, if using. Simmer on saute for 2 to 3 minutes until the kheer thickens a bit.The kheer will continue to thicken as it cools down, so do not thicken it a lot at this point.
- Garnish with more nuts and serve Seviyan Kheer warm or cold!
- you can add 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder in place of whole cardamom pods.
- You can add crushed strands of saffron at the end once the kheer is cooked and while it's simmering. That will give it a nice yellow color and also add to flavor.
- If you want to saute the nuts, add 1-2 teaspoons of ghee and saute in the IP until nuts are golden brown. Remove them from pot and add them later to the kheer.
- If using un-roasted vermicelli, roast in 1 tablespoon ghee for 3 to 4 minutes on saute mode until light brown and then add everything and follow the rest of the steps as it is.
- Kheer will thicken as it cools so you might have to add more milk before serving.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.