Summers and lemons go so well together, it’s like everything about lemons screams summer! While I love adding lemon to my water to hydrate myself during summers, there’s one more thing which I also adore -lemon desserts – lemon pound cake, lemon rolls, lemon macarons mmm so good!
The good thing with lemon desserts is that the sweet taste is balanced out by the tangy flavor of lemons. With temperatures soaring high, I of course had to make some some summer desserts and what better than these soft lemon cupcakes topped with some cream cheese and greek yogurt frosting. Did I tell you that these cupcakes are eggless too?
Let’s talk a little about these cupcakes. I didn’t use eggs in this recipe, no specific reason I was just trying to experiment without eggs and I must say I was pleased with the results. I used greek yogurt in the batter and used oil in place of butter. Greek yogurt + oil made the cupcakes soft and moist, I didn’t really miss the eggs. Lemon juice and lemon zest bring in the lemon flavor to the cupcakes – I added 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1.5 teaspoons of lemon zest which was perfect for me. I do not like the lemon flavor overpowering everything else hence this quantity was enough to bring in the lemon flavor and at the same time it didn’t make the cupcakes too lemony. Point to note here – please use fresh lemon juice. No bottled juice please.
Coming to the frosting, there’s no butter in it. Again I was trying to create a different frosting and ended up using greek yogurt with cream cheese. The frosting tastes really good and not to mention it’s lower on calories too compared to regular buttercream or cream cheese. I added lemon extract to bring in a little lemony flavor to the frosting as well. You can use lemon zest/juice in the frosting too but I didn’t, the lemon extract worked well for me. This is a great frosting for those who don’t like buttercream or other frostings with butter.
If the frosting looks too thin to you, just place it in the refrigerator for an hour or so and it would thicken up. Take it out of the refrigerator, give it a quick whisk and frost your cupcakes.
These lemon cupcakes are perfect little treats for your tea party, kids party or just about any other party. Make them today!
Check out the lemon recipe on the blog – Lemon Macarons
Lemon Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Greek Yogurt Frosting
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1.5 teaspoon lemon zest
Cream Cheese Greek Yogurt Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- ¾ teaspoon lemon extract
- 2-2.5 cups confectioners sugar
- In a bowl sift together all purpose flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In the steel bowl of your stand mixer or using your hand mixer beat together oil and sugar till smooth.
- Add vanilla, greek yogurt and mix till combined.
- Now add the lemon juice and lemon zest and mix.
- Add the flour mixture alternating with milk, starting and ending with the flour.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners till 2/3 full
- Bake at 350 F degrees for 16-20 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place the cupcakes on wire rack to cool completely before you frost them.
- In the steel bowl of your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment or using your hand mixer beat together softened cream cheese and greek yogurt till smooth.
- Add lemon extract and mix.
- Start adding powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time beating till it's fully incorporated and then add more.
- Place the frosting in the refrigerator for around 1 hour. This will thicken the frosting.
- Pipe the frosting on cupcakes. If it looks too thick, beat it for few seconds and it will be good to go.
Lemon Cupcakes with Greek Yogurt Frosting