Lemon and Raspberry is a very popular combination in baked goods and I can see why. The sweet berries pair perfectly with the fresh and tangy lemon flavor. I have always loved this flavor in my desserts and so this year for my 3rd wedding anniversary I thought to bake a lemon and raspberry cake with a raspberry jam filling. Now I had tons of frosting/filling ideas in my mind but seriously I ran out of time on D-day and hence just used simple store bought raspberry jam for the filling. Sometimes simple is nice, isn’t it?
I used 3 ingredients to really bring out the lemon flavor – lemon zest, fresh lemon juice and pure lemon extract. Out of these 3 you can leave out lemon extract if you can’t find it, the rest you cannot. And you have to, absolutely have to use fresh lemon juice here. I know it’s very tempting when we have a big bottle of lemon juice lying in our refrigerator to simply use that in the recipe BUT using fresh lemon juice makes all the difference. The cake cannot taste as fresh and lemony as it should with bottled lemon juice.
Like I said I used a simple raspberry jam as a filling, you can use tons of other things! Like raspberry curd or raspberry cream cheese or raspberry buttercream! Sound goods, right! I am sure all of these will taste excellent in this cake. The jam kind of keep the cakes on the lighter side [& less sweeter side as well] and I loved it that way.
Whipped cream is the perfect frosting for this cake. It’s light, not very sweet and goes well with all the fruity flavors. If you are a lover of lemon and raspberry in your desserts, then you must give this cake a try. I am sure you would love it!
* The lemon raspberry cream cake can be made a day in advance. Let the layers cool completely and then wrap them with a cling sheet and let them stay at room temperature. Make fresh whipped cream frosting the next day and decorate the cake.
* To cut short the process, you can even use cool whip to cover the cake. I just prefer making my own whipped cream frosting just because it’s so easy to make.
* Use fresh lemon juice in the cake.
Lemon Raspberry Cream Cake
- 2.25 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1¾ cup granulated white sugar
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon pure lemon extract
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- ½ cup raspberry jam
Whipped Cream Frosting
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2-3 tablespoons granulated white sugar or to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease two 8 inch round pan by spraying them with a non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- In a bowl sift together all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the steel bowl of your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment or using your hand mixer beat together butter and sugar till smooth and creamy.
- Add lemon juice, lemon zest and lemon extract. Mix till well combined.
- Start adding the flour mix alternatively with buttermilk, starting and ending with flour.
- Divide batter equally into the 2 prepared 8 inch round pans.
- Bake at 350 F degrees for 30-35 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then transfer onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Let the cakes cool completely before you frost them.
- Keep the bowl and the whisk attachment in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
- Pour the heavy cream into the bowl and beat using the whisk attachment on medium-high speed until it just starts to thicken.
- Reduce the speed to medium and add in the sugar. Beat until soft peaks form.
- Add in the vanilla extract and beat on high speed till the cream forms still peaks [that is it stands straight when you hold the whisk upright]
Assemble the cake
- Place one layer of the cake with the flat bottom part facing up.
- Spread the raspberry jam in the center.
- Place the other cake layer on top, with the flat bottom part facing up.
- Now cover the entire caked with whipped cream frosting.
- Decorate with raspberries and lemon wedges.
Lemon Raspberry Cream Cake
44 thoughts on “Lemon Raspberry Cream Cake”
Happy 3rd anniversary! This beautiful cake is perfect for celebrating the occasion! Love lemon and raspberry and the whipped cream frosting sounds amazing!
Thanks for the wishes Kelly!
Gorgeous cake, Manali! I love lemon and raspberry together – this cake looks fantastic!
Thank you Sarah!
Your recipes never disappoint! This cake is simply dessert heaven. Raspberry and lemon make an excellent duo.
Thank you Jen!
I adore lemon and raspberry together! The sweet and tartness of both flavors melds together perfectly. Happy New Year to you, Manali! See you in 2015! 🙂
Thanks Sarah! Happy New Year to you too!
This is such a pretty anniversary cake! So light and gorgeous! I love cream cakes and one that’s as beautiful as this turned out is SO up my alley!
Thank you Sarah!
Happy anniversary Manali!! And you’re right; lemon and raspberry are a perfect combination. This looks totally delicious.
Thank you Simone! 🙂
Looks yummy. My mother-in-law and I were talking today about the combination of lemon and raspberry. I love them together.
Thanks for dropping by Nikki! 🙂 yes indeed lemon and raspberry are wonderful together!
You have a beautiful blog Manali. I have fallen in love with cake. Beautiful cake. Well done. Great recipe. And by the way Happy Anniversary my dear 🙂
Thank you so much for the kind words and wishes Ritu! 🙂
This looks so delicious. I have been eating so many chocolate desserts over the past week, this would make a really nice change.
Yes indeed, thanks Dannii!
Aww this is such a cute anniversary cake!! Happy anniversary 🙂
Lemon + raspberry are such delicious flavors. Wish I could have some of this right now.
Happy new year, Manali!
Thank you Karishma!