When it comes to frosting, I always prefer cream cheese over buttercream. Cream cheese kind of cuts into the flavor of butter and gives the frosting a nice taste without being too buttery or sugary.
Cream cheese frosting is a traditionally used with red velvet and carrot cupcakes but honestly it’s great on any cake or cupcake for that matter. The frosting like buttercream can be flavored with almost anything- chocolate, strawberry, peanut butter etc.
Mangoes are my favorite and this frosting is just delicious. I used store bought mango pulp [which you can easily get at any Indian store] for this recipe but if you can get hold of fresh mangoes, use that. The frosting will taste yummier with real mangoes.
Oh I would also like to mention one thing about mango pulp here, in case you buy it from the Indian store for this recipe, please get the one which has no kesar (saffron) added to it. The kesar will not taste very nice in this frosting.
I used it as a filling between cake layers but you can use it pretty much anywhere, as a filling in cupcakes, rolls, scones, crepes. Yummy! This recipe makes a thin consistency filling so if you want to pipe this on cupcakes or something, add more confectioners sugar till it becomes stiff.
Yield: 1.25 cups
Butter, unsalted: 1/4 cup [1/2 stick], at room temperature
Cream cheese: 4 oz, at room temperature
Confectioners sugar: 1.25 cups, sifted
Mango pulp: 1/2 cup
Vanilla: 1/2 tsp
Heavy cream: 1 tbsp [or milk or half n half]
1. Beat butter and cream cheese together in your mixer until combined.
2. Stir in mango puree and vanilla and beat till smooth.
3. Add 1/2 cup sugar, mix till fully incorporated, then add in the remaining sugar.
4. Add cream and blend everything together until smooth and creamy.
* Use more heavy cream/milk for a thinner consistency.
* The given recipe will produce a thin consistency filling that will not pipe well on cupcakes. For piping on cupcakes, add more confectioners sugar till the frosting becomes stiff and holds shape.
* For a stronger cream cheese flavor, use additional 4 oz of cream cheese.
Mango Cream Cheese Filling For Cakes
- ¼ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 4 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 1.25 cups confectioners sugar sifted
- ½ cup mango puree
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp heavy cream [or milk or half n half]
- Beat butter and cream cheese together in your mixer until combined.
- Stir in mango puree and vanilla and beat till smooth.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar, mix till fully incorporated, then add in the remaining sugar.
- Add cream and blend everything together until smooth and creamy.
Mango Cream Cheese Filling for Cakes