I am trying to squeeze in one last minute dessert idea for St. Patrick’s Day. Actually I didn’t share any dessert recipe for this festival other than the mint chocolate chip ice cream and so I thought I should make something for you guys especially because desserts are the best part about this holiday or any holiday if you ask me! 😀
Have you guys tried mint oreos? The regular oreos are always present in my pantry because hubby is a huge fan. He likes to eat these cookies with milk and he eats so many that at one point I have to ask him to not eat more! [PS: He’s so skinny in spite of eating so many cookies, I wish I had his metabolism! No I am not jealous, just saying! :P] Anyway so yeah while regular oreos are a constant feature in my home, I tried mint ones for the first time. You will love them if you love chocolate and mint and I used them to make these mint oreo cookie cups which will be perfect for St. Patrick’s Day!
I don’t know if I have mentioned this on my blog before but I did my MBA from Scotland and that is where I first heard of St. Patrick’s Day. There were a lot of Irish students in the university, in fact one of my flatmates was from Ireland as well and it was fun to see them celebrate this holiday with so much enthusiasm.
This recipe of mint oreo cookie cups is super easy because it calls for a store bought sugar cookie dough, yup sometimes it’s good to take shortcuts especially when you are making something at the last minute. For these oreo cookie cups, I used my mini muffin pan because I wanted these to be bite size. Mini desserts are always fun to eat plus you can always convince yourself to eat more well because they are mini.
I was left with some cookie dough after I was done making these, I mean I could have made 24 cookie cups but I actually made the filling before and it was enough to just fill 18 cups. You can double the recipe to make more.
* You can use your favorite homemade sugar cookie recipe in place of the store bought stuff.
* To make oreo crumbs, crush the oreos (the entire cookie with the cream) in a food processor. Strain the mixture to get rid of any large pieces and then add it to the filling.
* Using heavy cream is optional. If you feel the consistency is just right without the cream, then do not add it. It should be thick since it’s a filling.
Mint Oreo Cookie Cups
- 1 package sugar cookie dough [i used pillsbury]
- 3 oz cream cheese softened
- 1.5 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- ½ cup crushed mint oreo crumbs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon heavy cream
- sprinkles to decorate
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.
- Spray a 24 count mini muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Take a little more than 1 tablespoon of dough and press into the bottom and up the sides of 18 cavity of the mini muffin pan.
- Bake the cookie cups for 10-12 minutes or till they just start to turn golden around the edges.
- Remove from the oven, cool and then remove cookie cups carefully from the pan. They should come out easily if not run a butter knife around the edges to release the cookies from the pan.
- Make the filling by beating together room temperature cream cheese and unsalted butter on medium speed using your hand/stand mixer till smooth and creamy.
- Add vanilla extract and mix till combined.
- Add confectioners sugar, little by little beating well after each addition.
- Finally add the oreo cookie crumbs, heavy cream and mix for a minute on medium speed till it's all smooth.
- Fill the cooled cookie cups with the oreo filling.
- Decorate with sprinkles and enjoy.
Mint Oreo Cookie Cups