Feb 10, 2017, Updated May 07, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Mocha Madeleines – coffee flavored butter cakes dipped in chocolate ganache. The perfect little treat to go with your coffee or hot chocolate!
Remember I told you guys about my obsession with kitchen gadgets and baking appliances? Yeah, that refuses to die down! I am having real trouble managing all the stuff that I have accumulated. I have a huge kitchen but apparently it’s not enough. My food photography prop collection just aids to the problem. I am thinking to throw away or donate some of the stuff. While cleaning one of my cabinets few days back, I came across this madeleine pan which I think I bought last year, I honestly can’t remember! Anyway so because I found it, I thought of using it too and made these Mocha Madeleines. Coffee flavored tea cakes dipped in chocolate ganache, yes it can’t get better especially if you love coffee and chocolate like me.
Madeleines are small butter cakes which originated in France. Now I have never been to France but I see them all the time at coffee shops, they are pretty common here. I think that’s because they are so perfect with coffee! Little butter cakes dusted with powdered sugar, yeah you can’t really have anything better to go with your coffee. And since they go so well together, I decided to make these coffee flavored madeleines and then I also decided to dip them in chocolate because chocolate makes everything better!
And not to forget the sprinkles, just because Valentine’s Day is around the corner it made sense to use the pink and red ones on these cakes.
For these mocha madeleines, I used Bru Instant Coffee. Since it was instant coffee powder, I added it directly to the batter and it combined easily. I recommend you use something similar. Also I used 1 tablespoon of instant coffee so these madeleines had quite a strong coffee flavor. If you don’t like coffee as much as I do, just cut down on the amount of coffee in the recipe.
The important step in this recipe is to beat the eggs and sugar till the mixture turns totally pale and doubles in volume. This will make 5-6 minutes with stand mixer and more if you are using a hand mixer. Once that is done, the rest of the steps are pretty simple and straight forward. Some recipes do call for chilling the batter before you bake it but I did not do that and the texture turned out well for my liking. There were soft in the center and slightly crisp around the edges. Also remember to spray your madeleine pan very well with a non-stick spray. Use the one with flour preferably else they will stick to the pan.
I hope you guys enjoy these for Valentine’s Day! Have a great weekend.
Place eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl.
Using the wire whisk attachment of your stand mixer (or use your hand mixer) beat eggs with sugar for 6-7 minutes or till doubles in volume and looks pale in color.
Add instant coffee, vanilla extract and salt and mix to combine.
Add flour and melted butter alternately, mixing after each addition.
Mix the batter till it looks smooth.
Fill each cavity of the pan 3/4 full. Bake at 350 F degrees for 9-10 minutes till the edges crisp up a little and center is set. Remove from oven, let them sit in the pan for few minutes and then use a knife to remove them gently from the pan.
Place chocolate chips in a bowl. Pour hot cream over it. Let it sit for 2-3 minutes.
Then use a whisk to combine the chocolate and cream together. All the chocolate would have melted by now.
Decorate with sprinkles (optional) and let the ganache set completely. Enjoy mocha madeleines with coffee!
* The madelein pan that I used was probably small in size and so each cake took only 9-10 minutes to get done. This may change if your pan has bigger cavities.
* Use a baking spray with flour while making madeleines and spray generously.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Pre heat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Spray a madeleine pan generously with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Place eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Using the wire whisk attachment of your stand mixer (or use your hand mixer) beat eggs with sugar for 6-7 minutes or till doubles in volume and looks pale in color.
- Add instant coffee, vanilla extract, salt and mix to combine.
- Add flour and melted butter alternately, mixing after each addition.
- Mix the batter till it looks smooth and well combined.
- Fill each cavity of the madeleine pan 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 F degrees for 9-10 minutes till the edges crisp up a little and center is set.
- Remove from oven, let them sit in the pan for few minutes and then use a knife to remove them gently from the pan.
- Place chocolate chips in a bowl. Pour hot cream over it. Let it sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Then use a whisk to combine the chocolate and cream together. All the chocolate would have melted by now.
- Dip the madeleines in the prepared chocolate ganache.
- Decorate with sprinkles (optional) and let the ganache set completely.
- Enjoy mocha madeleines with coffee!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.