Mushroom Cauliflower Fried “Rice”- this low carb fried rice recipe has tons of flavors and gets done in 15 minutes! Vegan.
I can’t believe I am sharing a keto recipe on the blog! I am the last person to follow any diets and trends, they are just not for me. And no I am not following keto but I have just been trying to eat better these days.
I have been hearing about cauliflower rice so much. I was intrigued from the day I heard about it. There were so many questions! How does it taste? Can it really replace rice?
Well I have been using cauliflower rice in some of my recipes for the last few months just to experiment and I have to say it’s pretty good. I wouldn’t say that I like it more than rice or I don’t find any difference between cauliflower rice and regular rice.
But it sure is a great alternative to have if you are following a low carb diet. These days, I have been replacing my regular rice with cauliflower rice whenever possible.
Of course with my dal, I still like my regular rice but in many other dishes, I use cauliflower rice and the dish still tastes good.
The other day I got a pack of cauliflower rice from the grocery store, I made this fried rice and it turned out really well. In fact after making this recipe, I don’t mind using cauliflower rice for making fried rice all the time!
What is Cauliflower Rice?
Okay, if you still haven’t heard of it, cauliflower rice isn’t exactly rice. It’s just cauliflower which has been pulsed in a food processor until it resembles rice.
Since it’s just cauliflower, it makes a great low carb alternative for regular rice. It has gained a lot of popularity in the recent time, thanks to the growing interest in the keto diet.
You can easily make cauliflower rice at home by pulsing cauliflower florets in a food processor. However since it has become so popular now you can easily find bags of pre-made cauliflower rice at most grocery stores. There’s also broccoli rice!
How To Make Cauliflower Fried Rice
For this mushroom cauliflower fried rice recipe, I basically followed the same steps as I would if making it with regular rice.
You don’t need to do anything different while making cauliflower fried rice.
Since I was making mushroom fried rice, I have added mushroom to this rice and also some peppers.
You can add other things to it like you would for any fried rice- veggies like carrots, peas or even eggs.
I wanted to keep this recipe vegan and anyway I am not a fan of egg in my fried rice so I was going to skip in anyway.
Rest of the ingredients are simple – soy sauce, rice vinegar and some sriracha for the heat. You may skip the hot sauce if you want.
Mushroom Cauliflower Fried Rice
✓ is a low carb recipe
✓ perfect for those following a keto diet
✓ is vegan and can be made gluten-free by using gluten-free soy sauce like tamari
✓ gets done in 15 minutes
✓ quick, easy meal, also great to pack in lunch-boxes!
Whether you are doing keto or not, if you want to try cauliflower rice, then I suggest you start with this recipe. It has tons of flavor and easy to make and you wouldn’t mind eating cauliflower in place of rice at all in this fried “rice”!
1- Heat sesame oil in a wok on medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped garlic and saute for a minute until it starts changing color.
2- Add green onion whites, bell pepper and sliced mushrooms. Cook for around 3 minutes on high heat, mushrooms will release water and turn golden brown.
3 & 4 – Then add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sriracha and mix.
5- Now lower the heat and add in the cauliflower rice and mix.
6- Also add the salt and pepper and toss to combine.
7- Once all is combined, increase the heat to medium-high again. Cook for 5 to 6 to minutes (keep stirring in between) until the raw taste and smell of cauliflower rice goes away and it’s cooked. It should not become mushy/soggy so keep the heat high.
8- Garnish with green onion (the green part).
Your low-carb, keto friendly Mushroom Cauliflower Fried Rice is ready to be served!
Mushroom Cauliflower Fried "Rice"
- 1.5 tablespoon sesame oil 22 ml
- 6-7 large garlic cloves chopped
- 5 stalks green onion chopped, white and green parts separated
- 1 large red pepper chopped
- 8 oz white mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sriracha or adjust to taste
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 16 oz cauliflower rice I used a store bought pack, around 3.5 to 4 cups riced cauliflower
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Heat sesame oil in a wok on medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped garlic and saute for a minute until it starts changing color.
- Add green onion whites, bell pepper and sliced mushrooms. Cook for around 3 minutes on high heat, mushrooms will release water and turn golden brown.
- Then add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sriracha and mix.
- Now lower the heat and add in the cauliflower rice and mix. Also add the salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Once all is combined, increase the heat to medium-high again. Cook for 5 to 6 to minutes (keep stirring in between) until the raw taste and smell of cauliflower rice goes away and it's cooked. It should not become mushy/soggy so keep the heat high.
- Garnish with spring onion (the green part) and serve!