Oreo are probably everyone’s favorite cookies or is it the chocolate chips cookies? Well doesn’t matter, all that matters is that everyone loves Oreo and these Oreo cupcakes are just perfect for your Oreo craving! They are so good. These vanilla oreo cupcakes are topped with some delicious cookies & cream frosting.
You know I always say that I love cakes but I am not that fond of frosting but this frosting, oh my god it was so good. I really wanted to take a spoon and eat a bowl full of frosting while I was making these cupcakes.
I don’t need a reason to bake, but these cupcakes were baked for a reason. My husband is a big Oreo fan and I baked these Oreo cupcakes to celebrate his 6th anniversary at work. The cupcakes made me very happy for 2 reasons:
1. First, the cupcakes came out great, super moist and delicious and the frosting was probably the best I have ever made.
2. I was pleased with my photographs for the very first time. I am usually not happy with my clicks because I hardly know anything about photography. But these pictures I thought were an improvement from before and that made me happy : ) I know there’s still a long way to go but I was happy with little improvement!
So now that I told you how happy I was with the photographs, don’t mind if I spam this post with lots of pics!
Talking about the cupcakes, these are vanilla Oreo cupcakes. You can also make chocolate Oreo cupcakes and I bet they would taste divine too. They are definitely on my “to-bake” list, which also has some 7894530 other things. Such a hopeless baking addict I am! *sigh*
I used buttermilk in this recipe instead of milk and believe me it does make a difference to your final cupcakes. Buttermilk makes the cakes/cupcakes really moist so try and use it while baking these cupcakes.
I looked on the internet for Oreo cupcakes frosting recipes and while there were so many, my eyes were set on cookies & cream frosting. What else can taste better with Oreo cupcakes, right? They are made for each other!
I added a lot of Oreo crumbs in the frosting, like a lot and I think that’s what made the frosting so good. To make the Oreo crumbs, I crushed the Oreo cookies in a blender and then strained the mixture to make that I don’t have any big chunks in my frosting. I wanted the frosting to be really smooth.
You see how creamy and smooth it looks? I wanted to eat it all with a spoon!
To make these cupcakes, you mix all the ingredients together as directed in the recipe and then twist the Oreos and place one of the cookies at the bottom of each cupcake liner with the cream side facing up. You can also put the entire Oreo as it is at the bottom of the liner and then pour batter over it and bake. Oreos at the bottom add a very nice touch to these cupcakes.
This will make around 16-18 cupcakes. I was able to get 20 cupcakes out of this batter but that’s because I don’t like filling my cupcake liners too much with batter. I usually fill them 1/2 or 2/3 full and never more than that.
Yield: 16-18 cupcakes
For the cupcakes
All purpose flour: 1.5 cups
Baking powder: 1.5 tsp
Baking soda: 1/2 tsp
Salt: 1/4 tsp
Granulated white sugar: 3/4 cup
Brown sugar: 1/2 cup
Oil: 3/4 cup [I used vegetable oil]
Buttermilk: 1 cup
Vanilla: 1 tsp [use pure vanilla extract]
Oreo: 1.25 cups, broken into small pieces + 16-18 Oreo halves
Eggs: 2, at room temperature
For the Cookies & Cream Frosting
Cream cheese: 4 oz, softened
Butter: 3/4 cup [1.5 stick], unsalted & at room temperature [it should still be firm to touch]
Confectioners sugar: 3-3.5 cups
Vanilla: 3/4 tsp
Salt: 1/4 tsp
Heavy cream/milk: 2-3 tbsp
Oreo crumbs: 1 cup, Oreos completely crushed in a blender & then strained
Mini oreos: for decorating the cupcakes
To make the Oreo Cupcakes
Line a muffin pan with cupcakes liners, set aside.
Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
1. In a bowl sift together all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In the steel bowl of your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment or using hand mixer, beat the eggs and both the sugars together till creamy & pale in color, around 3-4 minutes.
3. Add oil, vanilla and mix till combined.
4. Start adding the flour mixture and buttermilk in batches. Add the flour first, combine then add the buttermilk. Add the flour mixture in 3 parts and buttermilk in 2 parts, starting and ending with flour.
5. Mix the batter till everything is well combined but do not over-mix.
6. Fold in the broken Oreo pieces, stir and combine.
7. Place an Oreo on the bottom of each cupcake liner or twist the Oreo and put one cookie at the bottom of the pan with cream side up [I did this].
8. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 15-20 minutes on until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Mine were done in 16 minutes.
9. Cool the cupcakes on wire rack before frosting them.
To make Cookies & Cream Frosting
1. Crush Oreos in a blender to get Oreo crumbs. Strain the mixture to get rid of any bigger chunks.
2. Using your mixer, beat butter and cream cheese together until smooth and creamy.
3. With mixture at low speed, add 1 cup of confectioners sugar. Mix till it’s incorporated with the butter and cream cheese and them beat it at high speed for 30 seconds. Add the remaining sugar and mix.
4. Add vanilla and cream/milk and mix.
5. Add Oreo crumbs and beat till frosting is smooth and creamy.
6. Frost the cupcakes and decorate with mini oreos.
* These are vanilla Oreo cupcakes, you can make chocolate Oreo cupcakes using cocoa powder in the batter.
* Adjust the consistency of the frosting according to your preference. Add more cream for a spreading consistency, more sugar for thicker consistency to pipe flowers etc.
* You can use milk in the frosting but cream adds a wonderful rich flavor so if possible please use heavy cream.
* Do not over-bake your cupcakes. Keep an eye on them after 15 minutes.
* For the frosting, the butter should be at room temperature but still firm to touch.
Oreo Cupcakes With Cookies & Cream Frosting
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1.25 cups broken oreos
- 16-18 oreo halves
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
Cookies & Cream Frosting
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3-3.5 cups confectioners sugar
- ¾ tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2-3 tbsp heavy cream or milk
- 1 cup oreo crumbs, oreos completely crushed in a blender & then strained
- mini oreos, for decorating the cupcakes
- Line a muffin pan with cupcakes liners, set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
- In a bowl sift together all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Using your mixer, beat the eggs and both the sugars together till creamy & pale in color, around 3-4 minutes.
- Add oil, vanilla and mix till combined.
- Add the flour mixture and buttermilk in batches, starting and ending with flour.
- Mix the batter till everything is well combined but do not over-mix.
- Fold in the broken Oreo pieces, stir and combine.
- Place an Oreo on the bottom of each cupcake liner or twist the Oreo and put one cookie at the bottom of the pan with cream side up [I did this].
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 15-20 minutes on until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Mine were done in 16 minutes.
- Cool the cupcakes on wire rack before frosting them.
Cookies & Cream Frosting
- Crush Oreos in a blender to get Oreo crumbs. Strain the mixture to get rid of any bigger chunks.
- Using your mixer, beat butter and cream cheese together until smooth and creamy.
- With mixture at low speed, add 1 cup of confectioners sugar. Mix till it's incorporated with the butter and cream cheese and then beat it at high speed for 30 seconds. Add the remaining sugar and mix. Also add the salt.
- Add vanilla and cream/milk and mix.
- Add Oreo crumbs and beat till frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Frost the cupcakes and decorate with mini oreos.
Oreo Cupcakes with Cookies & Cream Frosting