Chocolate and peanut butter are my two absolute favorite flavors and I have combined them countless number of times like recently in my Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola. They just go so well together that I cannot resist the temptation of combining them whenever and wherever possible. The recent addition to this list is this rich and creamy peanut butter cream cheese frosting which I used to frost a chocolate cake!
The peanut butter cream cheese frosting is creamy, smooth and delicious. I used it on a chocolate cake but it would also taste great on peanut butter cakes, banana cakes or just about any other cake or cupcakes!
* You can replace heavy cream with milk but I prefer using heavy cream. It makes the frosting super rich and creamy.
* I used salted butter in this recipe, I like the flavor of salted butter in my frosting but you can use unsalted butter in place and then add 1/4 teaspoon of salt in the frosting additionally.
* Adjust the consistency of frosting to your preference. For a thicker consistency add more powdered sugar, for a thinner consistency add more heavy cream/milk.
Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
- ¾ cup peanut butter creamy
- ¼ cup butter salted [1 or 2 stick], at room temperature
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 2-2.5 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla optional
- In the steel bowl of your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment or using your hand mixer, beat together butter and cream cheese till smooth and creamy, around 2-3 minutes.
- Add the peanut butter and mix till smooth.
- Start adding the powdered sugar in parts with the mixer on low speed. Increase the speed after every addition till all sugar is well incorporated.
- Add in the vanilla (optional) and heavy cream and mix till smooth.
- Frost your favorite chocolate cake with this peanut butter cream cheese frosting!