Today is the first day of the last month of the year. I cannot believe how quickly this year went by, where did the time fly? I seriously feel that 2014 just started. Time scares me at times, it flies way too quickly. Anyway December is everyone’s favorite month here for obvious reason, it’s Christmas time! 🙂 I love how everything looks so festive and beautiful here around the holidays. Just day before I saw fake snow flakes shower with beautiful music at the shopping mall, it looked so so pretty.
One of the things that everyone looks forward to during holidays is gifts! Our biggest festival in India is Diwali and everyone’s house is loaded with gifts during that time of the year. While people gift each other all sorts of gifts, the most common one has to be “food gifts”. Sweets, chocolates, cookies, dry fruits are exchanged in huge amount, like really huge. I think it’s the same here for Christmas, the shopping has already begun and everyone is busy buying/planning gifts for their loved ones. While all gifts are great, I feel homemade food gifts are the best. The personal touch makes them extra special. Don’t you agree?
There are so many options when it comes to food gifts – cookies, bread, granola, jams etc etc. but one of my personal favorites is hot cocoa mix. I mean who doesn’t love/want hot cocoa during
cold freezing days? And it’s even better when you add some peppermint to it, after all mint and holidays go hand in hand.
This peppermint hot cocoa mix is just the perfect little gift for your loved one. It’s easy to make and requires few simple ingredients which you might already have in your pantry. The only challenging part for me was sifting the cocoa powder. I kind of dislike sifting so it’s a task for me to sift and mix everything together but once the mix is ready and you pack it into cute little jars, the effort seems worth it. You can decorate the jars with cute ribbons and even but a homemade sticker/tag on top. Cute, isn’t it?
These cute jars filled with peppermint hot cocoa mix are the cutest gifts you can give someone this holiday season! To make hot chocolate, just add 2-3 tablespoons of the mix to 6 oz of water/milk/half & half. I always use 1/2 milk and 1/2 half & half for my creamy and rich hot chocolate. Top with some whipped cream and enjoy!
* I added just enough crushed peppermint candy to have a subtle mint flavor in the hot cocoa. If you want a stronger mint flavor, add more peppermint candy to the mix.
* Chilling the chocolate chips before pulsing them in the food processor is not essential but recommended since they might melt slightly in the processor if not chilled.
Peppermint Hot Cocoa Mix
- 1.5 cups instant dry milk milk powder
- 1 cup confectioners sugar also known as powdered sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ¾ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup crushed peppermint candy
- Keep semi-sweet chocolate chips and white chocolate chips in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile sift unsweetened cocoa powder and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together dry milk and confectioners sugar.
- Add the sifted cocoa powder to it.
- Transfer the entire mixture into a food processor. Take out semi sweet chocolate chips and white chocolate chips from the refrigerator and add them to the food processor as well.
- Pulse will everything is well combined and smooth. The chocolate chips should be completely broken and powdered.
- Add the crushed peppermint candy and give a final pulse.
- Store peppermint cocoa mix in airtight containers or pack them in small jars as gifts.
To Make Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of peppermint hot cocoa mix to 6 oz milk/water/half and half.
Peppermint Hot Cocoa Mix
48 thoughts on “Peppermint Hot Cocoa Mix”
This looks amazing, my friend! A great idea for Christmas gifts!!! And I will be making this for myself, for sure. Add a shot of espresso and I don’t have to go to Starbucks anymore. lol
Thank you dear! Yes you should totally make it..you can then have hot cocoa whenever you feel like 🙂
Manali, this hot chocolate mix is excellent.. I love the minty touch to it.. amazing !! 🙂
Thank you Arpita! Mint is essential for the holidays…isn’t it? 🙂
This would make SUCH a great gift! I love it all! From the adorable little marshmallows to your cute labels. And I so have got to try peppermint in my hot cocoa asap!
Thank you Sarah! I had fun packing them!
This is definitely the flavor for the holidays. I love this gift food idea! Sounds awesome, Manali!
LOOKS AMAZING MANALI! I JUST MADE HOT WHITE CHOCOLATE WITH PEPERMINT AND REALLY LIKED IT! DEFINITELY TRYING YOURS SOON!
Oh peppermint hot white chocolate sounds totally awesome Mira! Glad you like this!
Love this Manali! Also a little funny that you posted this, because I was just planning on making some for teacher gifts this year, and probably posting it! So weird how that happens, seeing the same things on the blogs you follow! 🙂
Thanks Stacey! Looking forward to your hot cocoa mix recipe! 🙂 I know that happens sometimes that we end up posting the same thing!
This hot chocolate mix is just so perfect for gift giving!!!!! Love it! Pinning! 😀
Thanks Samina! Glad you like!
I need to make a batch too. Nothing warms you more than a hot cup of hot cocoa!
True Angie, nothing like hot cocoa during this time of the year!
This is the cutest packaging, Manali! What a great gift idea!
Thank you Mir! I know I love these cute little jars and the labels!
This hot cocoa mix sounds amazing, Manali! Love the warming peppermint flavour, these are brilliant gift ideas for friends!
Thanks Jessica! I think they will make very cute gifts!