Welcome fall with these butter, flaky Pumpkin Scones. The coffee glaze makes them perfect for breakfast or snack time!
And it’s Pumpkin time! Wohoo! 😀 Which actually means it’s my favorite time of the year to bake. I go pumpkin crazy during fall so expect a lot of pumpkin recipes in the next 2 months or so. I stil can’t believe that we are in to the next pumpkin season already. And this will be gone quickly too and we will be then into the candy cane season. Anyway for now let’s focus on the beautiful fall and all things pumpkin.
This is my favorite time of the year. I love looking outside the window, everything looks just so beautiful. I remember my 1st year in US, I would ask my hubby to stop the car all the time. Like it was all new to me and I was so fascinated by all the gorgeous fall colors that I just wanted to look at every tree on the road ha ha. Now I don’t do that but I still love it just as much. Other than how gorgeous it is outside, baking during fall is also my favorite. There’s something so special and magical about the aroma of warm spices, it fills my heart with a lot of happiness.
The weather has actually gone quite cold here in the north-west. So the other day while sipping on my chai, I thought of making these Pumpkin Scones. I thought there couldn’t be a better treat to get into the mood of fall baking than these scones because you know we all need to snack on something with our coffee or chai as the days get colder, something warm and comforting. And these pumpkin scones are just that!
They are packed with all the fall flavors. The aroma of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves etc. filled my kitchen as I baked these scones and it felt so wonderful. Whenever you make scones, just take care of 2 things –
1) Use very cold butter. I usually cut the butter into small pieces and then place in freezer for 30 minutes or so before using in the recipe. When you put the scones to bake, the fat in the butter evaporates which leads to steam, which further leads to air pockets resulting in that flaky texture than you expect in a scone.
2) Don’t overwork the dough. Be gentle with it and mix till just combined.
Oh and you know, I just had to cover these pumpkin scones with the coffee glaze. They kind of felt incomplete without it! So guys get baking with pumpkin and start with these scones. They are easy to make fall treat and I am sure you will love these. Is there anything/ any particular fall recipe that you want me to try? Please let me know in the comments section below and I will try my best to perfect it!
In a bowl whisk together all purpose flour, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder, ginger powder and all spice. Add the baking powder and whisk.
Now add both the sugars and combine. Cut in very cold butter (which has been cut into small pieces) using a pastry cutter or two forks till the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
In another bowl whisk together egg and vanilla extract.
Add pumpkin puree, heavy cream and mix till well combined.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
Mix lightly till combined. Dump the dough on lightly floured surface and work on the dough till it’s comes together and is smooth. The dough will be sticky so use flour while you are working with it.
Shape the dough into a 8 inch circle. Using a sharp knife cut the circle into 8 triangles.
Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. While the scones are baking make the coffee glaze! To make the coffee glaze, in a small bowl add instant coffee with milk and mix till combined. Transfer this coffee mixture to another bowl with 1 cup powdered sugar. Mix till glaze is smooth.
Pour over pumpkin scones and enjoy!
*Scones freeze well. If you want to freeze these pumpkin scones, don’t add the glaze. Let them cool down to room temperature and then place in a ziplock bag and freeze!
* Always remember to use very cold butter. Remember my tip of cutting the butter into small pieces and then placing it in freezer for 30-60 minutes before using in the recipe.
* I used all spice in this recipe, you can very well use 1/4 teaspoon of ground clove in place.
Pumpkin Scones with Coffee Glaze
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup butter [1 stick] unsalted, cold & cut into small cubes
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- 2.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg powder
- ¼ teaspoon all spice
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream or half & half
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1.5 teaspoons instant ground coffee
- 4-5 teaspoons milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- In a bowl whisk together all purpose flour, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder, ginger powder and all spice. Add the baking powder and whisk.
- Now add both the sugars and combine.
- Cut in very cold butter (which has been cut into small pieces) using a pastry cutter or two forks till the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In another bowl whisk together egg and vanilla extract.
- Add pumpkin puree, heavy cream and mix till well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix.
- Dump the dough on lightly floured surface and work on the dough till it's comes together and is smooth. The dough will be sticky so use flour while you are working with it.
- Shape the dough into a 8 inch circle. Using a sharp knife cut the circle into 8 triangles.
- Bake at 425 for 13-15 minutes or till they get lightly browned.
- To make the coffee glaze, in a small bowl add instant coffee with milk and mix till combined. Transfer this coffee mixture to another bowl with 1 cup powdered sugar. Mix till glaze is smooth.
- Pour over pumpkin scones and enjoy!
Pumpkin Scones with Coffee Glaze
54 thoughts on “Pumpkin Scones with Coffee Glaze”
I love fall! And pumpkin! These look gorgeous!
Me too! 🙂 Thanks Mira!
I love the idea of using coffee glaze! Like a PSL in a scone! This is a fantastic flavor. They look perfect.
haha totally , it is like PSL in a scone! Thanks Mir!
Fall is my favorite season too – the weather is just PERFECT! And scones happen to be one of my favorite things EVER! LOVING your pumpkin flavored scones! And that coffee glaze on top?? Genius! These make me super excited for the upcoming months of cooler weather… I can just PICTURE myself in a comfy sweater, relaxing with all the windows open and noshing on these scones! Pinned! Cheers and thanks for sharing the YUM!
Thank you Cheyanne! 🙂 I’m glad you liked these!
Yay for fall and pumpkin! These scones are the perfect way to kick off the season! They look perfect, Manali! Love the coffee glaze and totally craving for one of these right now 🙂
Thank you Kelly! Fall is awesome!
Fall is my favorite time of the year too!!! love these scones and the coffee glaze is brilliant!!!!
These definitely say fall! Yummy!!!
Thank you Kathy!
These look delicious, Manali! I love pumpkin scones!
Me too! Thanks Sabrina!
These scones look waaaaay better than any coffee shop or bakery could put out! Seriously lovin’ that coffee glaze—I need like 5 of these right now to go with my coffee!
Thank you Sarah, the coffee glaze is yum!
I can’t believe it’s pumpkin season already! But hey, I’m not complaining one bit…I love pumpkins…and apples…and maple syrup. Ok, I just love the Fall! These scones look delicious!!
Summer went away too quickly! But fall is just beautiful so I am not complaining 🙂 Thank you David!
I’m so excited that it’s finally time to break out the pumpkin! These scones look amazing, Manali! Love the coffee glaze on top!
I know right!! Thanks Gayle!