Pecan Shortbread Cookies made perfect for fall with addition of pumpkin pie spice. Made with few simple ingredients, these will be your new favorite fall treat!
So what is your favorite thing to bake? Mine would be cookies or cupcakes or cheesecake. Okay, I give up I can’t decide but cookies are right up there. I think they are the easiest to make and also so delicious. Plus tell me who doesn’t like cookies? Okay some might like soft cookies, some crispy, some chewy but the bottom line is everyone loves cookies.
One of the easiest cookies that you can make are shortbread. These cookies require only 3 basic ingredients – butter, sugar and flour. I am sure we all have these in our pantry, plus you don’t even need a mixer to make these. Bottom line , if you want to bake something delicious and don’t want to slog in the kitchen for hours – make shortbread cookies and since it’s fall make these Pumpkin Spice Pecan Shortbread Cookies.
These pecan shortbread cookies are exactly how a shortbread should be – so buttery and delicious. The texture is just perfect! I absolutely loved the addition of pecans in this recipe. The only thing to keep in mind is that don’t chop the pecans too fine. I just break each pecan into 5-6 pieces, if they are too small they don’t give the desired texture to the cookies. Since it’s fall, I also added some pumpkin spice to the dough and it really made the cookies so much more flavorful.
Shortbread has always been one of my favorite cookies, first because it’s so easy to make and second because I love it so much with my chai. I never forget to buy the shortbread at Starbucks with my chai. I think it enhances the whole chai drinking experience. Considering how much I love shortbread, I don’t make it very often. The reason is ME! I have zero self control when it comes to these cookies. You see everything else I bake, I pretty much pack and send to hubby’s office but cookies especially shortbread? They are difficult to share because I always want a cookie with my chai and what better than homemade shortbread cookies so I keep it all for me. And now I have had 5 of these since morning, I just can’t stop and that is why I don’t make them often. I really need to develop some self control!
The cookies season will be soon upon us and I am really excited about it. I absolutely love making cookies during the holidays! What are you favorite cookies? Is there a specific cookie recipe which you would like me to try during the holidays? Please let me know! And enjoy these pumpkin spice pecan shortbread cookies. They are great as such and even better with a pumpkin spice latte!
In a bowl mix together butter and sugar. There’s no need to cream them, just mix till combined. You can do this using a hand mixer or stand mixer or even your hands!
Add flour, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract and mix till combined.
Add the chopped pecans and mix till the dough comes together. If you are using a stand mixer, you will know it’s done when the dough sticks to the paddle attachment.
Divide the dough into 2 and form logs from each part. Cling wrap the dough logs and refrigerate for an hour.
After an hour, remove the logs from the fridge and cut into thick slices. Remember the thinner you cut, the crispier the cookies would turn out to be. So cut as per your preference.
Place all the cut cookie slices on to a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Top with cookies with some additional chopped pecans.
Bake at 325 F degrees for 20 minutes or till cookies are light golden in color.
* You can also add some cinnamon here.
* You can also cut the dough into various shapes using your cookie cutters.
Pumpkin Spice Pecan Shortbread Cookies
- 1.5 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup chopped pecans more to top the cookies later
- 1.25 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 F degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl mix together butter and sugar. There's no need to cream them, just mix till combined. You can do this using a hand mixer or stand mixer or even your hands!
- Add flour, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract and mix till combined.
- Add the chopped pecans and mix till the dough comes together. If you are using a stand mixer, you will know it's done when the dough sticks to the paddle attachment.
- Divide the dough into 2 and form logs from each part. Cling wrap the dough logs and refrigerate for an hour.
- After an hour, remove the logs from the fridge and cut into thick slices. Remember the thinner you cut, the crispier the cookies would turn out to be. So cut as per your preference.
- Place all the cut cookie slices on to a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Top with cookies with some additional chopped pecans.
- Bake at 325 F degrees for 20 minutes or till cookies are light golden in color from bottom.
- Transfer on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy these pumpkin spiced pecan shortbread cookies with coffee or chai!
Pumpkin Spice Pecan Shortbread Cookies
44 thoughts on “Pumpkin Spice Pecan Shortbread Cookies”
Shortbread is one of my all time favorite cookies! So these are speaking my language! Love anything pecan, too! Thanks for sharing, Manali!
My favorite too Annie!
Delicious! These are the perfect fall shortbread cookies 🙂
I love to bake so many things, it’s hard to decide! These cookies look so delicious, and I love that you added pumpkin to these! 🙂
Thanks Marcie, I know that’s a tough question!
These cookies look adorable and mouthwatering, Manali! In answer to your question my favourite things to bake are breads and savoury pies.
Yeah breads are awesome to bake! Thanks dear!
These look so delicious, Manali! I love how easy the recipe is. I can’t get enough of pumpkin spice right now. <3
These are my dream come true. Short bread (my favorite kind of cookies) + pecans + pumpkin spice? You’ve knocked the ball out of the park, girl! Now pass me the cookies and I’ll bring the coffee!
Sending some all the way to the east coast! xoxo
Love shortbread cookies! Great flavors and beautiful pictures!
Mmmmmm….pumpkin! pecans! warm spices!!! Yep…these will definitely be a favorite!
Im a sucker for shortbread – they have to be THE best kind of biscuits out there, so buttery and crumbly. I wished I could jump through my screen and pinch one of these off that plate right now, delicious!
I agree, love shortbread!!
Shortbread cookies are the best. I love how they almost sort of melt in your mouth a tiny bit. Thank you butter! Haha. These look amazing. Pecans and shortbread are meant to be together.
haha indeed, thank you butter! Thanks Amanda!