Easy White Bean, Tomato & Kale Soup made in the Instant Pot.
This hearty soup is perfect for fall and the colder days ahead and is also vegan.
The mornings have been getting cooler here. I have been going on for my morning walks pretty regularly these days and I usually go around 6:30 am.
Just a couple of weeks back, it was quite pleasant at that time but now it’s cold. In fact there have been few days, when I had to wait until 7:30 or something for it to get warmer.
This only means one thing- fall is here and as usual I am so looking forward to it. Definitely my favorite season. I love the beautiful fall colors, the warm spices and of course the hearty soups.
I love having soups for dinner and although there isn’t a season to have them, the colder weather definitely makes them look more appealing. Isn’t it?
Some of my absolute favorites for fall are this carrot ginger soup, thai butternut squash soup, broccoli almond soup and also this White Bean, Tomato & Kale Soup that I am sharing with you guys today.
I feel white beans needs more appreciation, they are really creamy and yummy. I am also guilty of not using them very often, somehow I always end up using black beans, kidney beans in my recipes.
However, this time around I picked few cans of white beans from the grocery store and used them in this super easy soup recipe.
This White Bean Soup
✔is vegan and gluten-free.
✔makes a comforting soup for cold days.
✔easy to make with a prep time of 10 minutes!
✔great way to include kale in your diet.
While making this soup I realized that I do not eat enough kale and I don’t know why. I sure do like it but never used it as much as other greens.
Let’s talk about the ingredients for this soup and what can you substitute if you don’t have them.
Onion: I have used yellow onion here, but red onion or white onion will also work if yellow isn’t available.
Veggies: I have used carrots and celery here. You can use other veggies like mushrooms, potato, peppers.
Diced tomatoes: So, I used a can of diced tomatoes which were fire roasted, I quite like them for the extra flavor.
You can however use a regular can of diced tomatoes, doesn’t have to be fire roasted.
What about substituting with fresh tomatoes? I would say stick to the can if possible but if not, use 3 medium tomatoes in place.
White beans: can of great northern beans is what I have used here. If you don’t have white beans, you can use a can of black beans or kidney beans in place. Every chickpeas will work.
Herbs: so, I have used one fresh herb- sage and two other herbs in dried form- thyme and oregano. These herbs give flavor and aroma to the soup.
You can even use rosemary. If you can’t find fresh sage, that’s okay too, just skip and use the dried herbs.
Kale: you can increase or decrease the quantity of kale in the recipe depending how much you like greens in your soup.
Also, you can definitely substitute kale with spinach if that’s what you have.
Vegetable broth: I highly recommend not skipping on this. Don’t use water here since broth adds to flavor of the soup.
Lemon: the lemon adds that freshness and tang to the soup which I really like.
You can use lime juice in place.
If you want, you can garnish the soup with some parmesan cheese before serving. I didn’t do that and kept this vegan.
Quick easy soup!
This soup has very less prep work- it’s only chopping the onion, carrots and celery. And then it comes together very quickly.
That’s what I like about this soup- easy to make and makes a big pot of soup.
Also, you make it in one-pot, so not many dishes to clean!
As the weather turns cooler, hope you guys give this recipe a try, definitely makes for a very comforting meal.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
Instant Pot White Bean, Tomato & Kale Soup
- 1.5 tablespoon olive oil 22 ml
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 4 large garlic chopped
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 5-6 sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 15.5 oz can white beans
- 3.5 cup vegetable broth divided, 28 oz
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 3-4 cups chopped kale
- 1 lemon juice of
- Press the saute button on the Instant Pot. Once it displays hot, add the olive oil and then add the onion, garlic and celery. Cook for around 3 minutes until soften.
- Then add the carrots, can of diced tomatoes, tomato paste, sage leaves, dried thyme and oregano. Stir well.
- And then add the can of white beans and mix.
- Add vegetable broth, salt and pepper and give a good stir.
- Close the pot with the lid. Press the manual or pressure cook button and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes with the pressure valve in sealing position. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then quick release the remaining pressure.
- Open the lid and press saute. Add chopped kale and stir.
- Add lemon juice and let simmer for around 5 minutes until kale leaves wilt. You may need to add more broth here as the soup simmers. I added around 1/2 cup extra broth at this point.
- Serve this white bean, tomato & kale soup with a crusty bread.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Add onion, garlic and celery and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add carrots, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, sage, thyme and oregano. Saute 1 minute. Then add the beans, broth, salt, pepper and stir. Cover the pan with a lid and simmer 15 minutes. Then add chopped kale and simmer 10 more minutes until kale is soft. Add more broth as needed. Squeeze in fresh lemon juice and serve.
- You can garnish the soup with parmesan cheese before serving. Even a spoonful of pesto will be nice on top.