Pancakes are tasty but not always healthy. The ones we get to eat in restaurants are made from all purpose flour but you can make them healthier by making pancakes from whole wheat flour. I have grown to love the taste of whole wheat so much, I think it’s a taste that you acquire over time and then you get so used to it that you don’t like anything else. So for me now it’s always whole wheat breads, pastas and pancakes.
But still I wasn’t very sure of how whole wheat pancakes would taste but there is this one brunch place that we went to sometime back and they had whole wheat pancakes in their menu. So we ordered them and they turned out to be delicious. I was thus motivated to make these healthier pancakes at home.
These pancakes tasted really good and you can eat them as such without butter. I think I’m now going to stick with making whole wheat pancakes, they are tasty and healthy. What’s not to love?
The amount of berries you add to the recipe depends on how much you love the fruit. 3/4 cup is what I added but if that sounds like a lot, you can cut down to 1/2 cup. Also, if you aren’t sure about the taste of 100% whole wheat pancakes you can probably do half-half, half of all purpose and half whole wheat. It would still be healthier than the ones at restaurants.
I was able to make 6 pancakes out of this batter, but I used a big round ladle and poured one full ladle for each pancake. So if you are using a smaller ladle, this would probably make around 10 pancakes. Use a ladle to pour the batter and then you can spread it with a spatula to get that perfect round shape. I don’t think I succeeded in making my pancakes perfectly round!
We all know how important it is to have a good breakfast and nothing like healthy and tasty pancakes to kick start your day. So here’s the recipe for 100% whole wheat blueberry pancakes.
Yield: 6 regular size pancakes
Whole wheat flour: 1.25 cups
Baking powder: 2 tsp
Salt: 1/4th tsp
Sugar: 2 tbsp
Vanilla extract: 1/2 tsp
Oil: 1 tbsp
Milk: 1 cup + 2-3 tbsp
Blueberries: 3/4 cup
1. In a bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
2. In another bowl mix together the wet ingredients: milk, oil, vanilla and egg.
3. Mix wet ingredients into dry till everything is well incorporated. Do not overmix.
4. Fold in the blueberries and leave the mixture to stand for 5-10 minutes.
5. Heat a non stick pan or skillet on medium heat, spray some cooking oil on it.
6. Use a round ladle to pour batter on the pan.
7. Cook for a minute or two and flip the pancake when you see small bubbles on the surface.
8. Cook the other side for 1-2 minutes. The pancake is ready when light golden brown in color.
9. Serve hot with butter, maple syrup and some fresh blueberries.
* You can replace milk with buttermilk or do half milk and half buttermilk. Buttermilk definitely adds to the flavor.
* The batter would be thick, but it should be pourable so adjust the consistency of the batter accordingly.
* Add chocolate chips, cinnamon for added flavors.
* The pancakes can be frozen for a month. When you want to eat them, just take them out and microwave.
Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes
- 1.25 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup + 2-3 tbsp milk
- ¾ cup blueberries
- In a bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix together the wet ingredients: milk, oil, vanilla and egg.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry till everything is well incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Fold in the blueberries and leave the mixture to stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat a non stick pan or skillet on medium heat, spray some cooking oil on it.
- Use a round ladle to pour batter on the pan.
- Cook for a minute or two and flip the pancake when you see small bubbles on the surface.
- Cook the other side for 1-2 minutes until light golden brown in color.
- Serve hot with butter, maple syrup and some fresh blueberries.
Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes