Whole Wheat Carrot Muffins
Mar 27, 2018, Updated May 07, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Moist Whole Wheat Carrot Muffins are loaded with carrots and pecans and are great for breakfast or snack! They would also be good for your Easter breakfast or brunch!
Spring is here (even though it doesn’t feel like it!) & Easter is this weekend. It’s hard to believe that quarter of the year is already over! I really don’t know where the time went. I spent most of March lying in bed so I think I have lost track of time. But even then its pretty hard to believe that it will be April in just a few days. What are you guys making for Easter? I would love to know! I thought of sharing one last minute recipe with you guys in case you are still looking something for your Easter brunch, these Whole Wheat Carrot Muffins would just look perfect on the table.
I love making muffins whenever I can and I most often try to make them healthier like these Whole Wheat Pumpkin Banana Muffins or these Banana Chocolate Muffins. I feel whole wheat muffins are just as good so why not opt for the healthier substitute. That’s the advantage of baking at home right? You can do these healthy swaps! Whenever I bake muffins, I feel like I am sorted for breakfast and snacks for few days. It’s just the two of us at home so a batch lasts for a while. And also you can always freeze muffins and that way you have breakfast to go in the freezer.
These whole wheat carrot muffins are so easy to make. You just mix in the dry ingredients in a bowl and then mix in the wet ingredients in another bowl and then just combine the two. Then fold in the carrots and pecans and bake. Talking about carrots, use shredded carrots here. These days my laziness level is up to 100% so I just put my carrots in my food processor and pulse them. So they were more like chopped than shredded but shredded carrots taste so much better, trust me. This is what happens when you are recovering from an illness, you just want to take as many shortcuts in the kitchen as possible!
These Whole Wheat Carrot Muffins
✓ are made with whole wheat flour
✓ lightly sweetened making them perfect for breakfast or snack!
✓ super moist and soft due to the addition of applesauce and brown sugar
✓ filled with carrots and chopped pecans
I added some chopped pecans to these muffins. You may use walnuts in place. Also raisins would be really nice. I prefer the golden raisins so if you want to add them, add around 1/3 cup of raisins or as per your taste. These carrot muffins are sweetened with brown sugar but in case you want to use natural sweeteners, honey and maple syrup would also work. I would use 1/2 cup of honey or maple syrup in place.
The addition of applesauce makes these muffins really moist. In case you don’t have applesauce, I would recommend using greek yogurt. Even though I have to say, applesauce goes really well in these muffins so if possible stick to that. Hope you guys make these whole wheat carrot muffins for easter and enjoy them with your family.
*Line a 12 count muffin pan with liners. Set aside.
In a large bowl whisk together white whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon powder, ground nutmeg and salt. Set it aside.
To the steel bowl of your stand mixer (or to a regular bowl if using hand mixer) add oil, brown sugar, vanilla extract, egg and applesauce.
Mix at medium speed for 2 minutes until it’s all well combined.
Add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix to combine. Mix only until the flour is just combined, do not over-mix.
Fold in the shredded carrots and chopped pecans.
Transfer batter equally among the prepared muffin liners. I got 11 muffins out of this batter. Sprinkle turbinado sugar on top of each muffin (optional).
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 375 F degrees for 16-18 minutes on until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the carrot muffins on to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy with milk or coffee!
Whole Wheat Carrot Muffins
- 1.5 cups white whole wheat flour 198 grams, or regular whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil 2 oz, or use any oil of choice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar 100 grams
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce 8 oz
- 1 cup shredded carrot from 2-3 medium carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- turbinado sugar optional, to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees. Line a 12 count muffin pan with liners and set it aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together white whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon powder, ground nutmeg and salt. Set it aside.
- To the steel bowl of your stand mixer (or to a regular bowl if using hand mixer) add oil, brown sugar, vanilla extract, egg and applesauce. Mix at medium speed for 2 minutes until it's all well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix to combine. Mix only until the flour is just combined, do not over-mix. Fold in the shredded carrots and chopped pecans.
- Transfer batter equally among the prepared muffin liners. I got 11 muffins out of this batter.
- Sprinkle turbinado sugar on top of each muffin (optional).
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 375 F degrees for 16-18 minutes on until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the carrot muffins on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- You can add raisins or any nut of choice to these muffins. You may even add chocolate chips if you want.
- These muffins are lightly spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg. You may also add ginger, all spice or cloves if you want!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Whole Wheat Carrot Muffins