This post is sponsored by Silk. All opinions expressed are my own.
Lightly sweetened with an intense chocolate flavor, these Zucchini Chocolate Muffins are ideal for snacking or breakfast!
The easiest way to make kids (and my husband)eat zucchini is to sneak it into some baked good. I think zucchini is amazing that way. First it adds so much moisture to the baked product and second you can never taste it. You really can’t! I swear if I didn’t tell my husband that there was zucchini inside these Zucchini Chocolate Muffins, he would never guessed! But yeah I did tell him and he said it doesn’t matter because when zucchini tastes this good, he can have it every day. Now only if he would say the same thing when I serve him roasted zucchini! Oh well!
Muffins have always been one of my favorite things to bake, simply because they are not complicated at all. Whisk your dry ingredients, whisk your wet ingredients and then simply mix both together and bake. No fuss, no complex steps. And they are so perfect for snacking or even for breakfast. I mean a chocolate muffin for breakfast is always a good idea in my head.
These zucchini chocolate muffins have an intense chocolate flavor, are lightly sweetened and made with white whole wheat flour. Actually, now I make most of my muffins with white whole wheat flour, it’s so good you guys and it’s healthier than the regular flour, so why to not use it right? The best part about these zucchini chocolate muffins was the caramel glaze. It so happened that I was having my coffee with my favorite Silk Caramel Almond Creamer while baking these muffins and that’s when I thought to combine these flavors! I mean chocolate and caramel go so well together so why not! So I made a quick glaze using powdered sugar and Silk Creamer and drizzled it on the top of these muffins. Yum!
By the way have you guys tried the new Silk Caramel Almond Creamer? It has a nice rich flavor and is free of dairy, gluten and has no artificial colors or flavors. Really the perfect way to enjoy your morning coffee!
What makes these Zucchini Chocolate Muffins so moist?
These muffins turned out super moist and here are the ingredients which made them so moist!
✓ and of course the zucchini
I thought the muffins were perfectly sweetened, I mean they had as much sugar as I normally like in my muffins, you may add more if you prefer sweeter muffins.
In a bowl whisk together whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder and salt. Set aside.
Using your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment (or using your hand mixer) beat together oil, both the sugars and applesauce till well combined.
Add in vanilla extract and eggs and mix till combined.
Add the yogurt and mix. I used regular yogurt here, you may use greek yogurt.
Add the dry ingredients and mix till just combined. Do not over-mix.
Fold in grated zucchini and chocolate chips.
Fill the muffin tray all the way to the top with the batter. Bake at 425 F degrees for 5 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 F (with the muffins inside the oven) and bake for another 12-13 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Total time taken to bake these muffins was 17 minutes.
While the muffins the baking, make the caramel glaze. In a bowl take some powdered sugar and add Silk Caramel Almond Creamer to it.
Mix till you get a smooth glaze with no lumps.
Once the muffins are done, take them out of the oven and transfer onto a wire rack to cool completely. Drizzle the prepared caramel glaze on top and enjoy!
* You may use brown sugar in place of coconut sugar. You may use coconut sugar entirely in this recipe and not use granulated sugar at all.
* Store muffins at room temperature for 3 days. The muffins will also freeze well.
Zucchini Chocolate Muffins
- 1.25 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1.25 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg powder
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup yogurt I used regular yogurt
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1.25 cups grated zucchini
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
for the caramel glaze
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons caramel creamer
- Pre heat oven to 425 F degrees. Spray a 12 count muffin pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder and salt. Set aside.
- Using your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment (or using your hand mixer) beat together oil, both the sugars and applesauce till well combined.
- Add in vanilla extract and eggs and mix till combined.
- Add the yogurt and mix. I used regular yogurt here, you may use greek yogurt.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix till just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Fold in grated zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Fill the muffin tray all the way to the top with the batter.
- Bake at 425 F degrees for 5 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 F (with the muffins inside the oven) and bake for another 12-13 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the muffins the baking, make the caramel glaze. In a bowl take some powdered sugar and add Silk Caramel Creamer.
- Mix till you get a smooth glaze with no lumps.
- Drizzle the glaze on baked muffins and enjoy!
Zucchini Chocolate Muffins
14 thoughts on “Zucchini Chocolate Muffins”
I can’t get enough zucchini these days!! These Zucchini Chocolate Muffins look fabulous! love the caramel glaze!
thanks Alice, zucchini is awesome
These look so delicious! Love chocolate and zucchini! Glad you used Silk! Will try them soon!
Zucchini and chocolate are the best together, and I love that these gorgeous muffins are on the healthy side! I love Silk products and that creamer sounds amazing!