As much as I love to bake with butter, I also love healthy baking. Sure I’m not the one to compromise on butter while making my pineapple-upside down cake or cut down on cream cheese for oreo cream cheese frosting but there are things that I bake to eat as a snack or post workout meal and I want those things to be healthy.
These almond flour bars are made using almond flour, almond butter, applesauce, flax seeds and honey – wow that’s a long list of healthy ingredients. They are high on energy making them ideal as post workout snack. You can use any nut butter of your choice- almond, peanut, cashew whatever floats your boat. I used unsalted almond butter in this recipe.
Here’s a little video to show you guys how I made these bars!
These almond flour bars are quite soft initially but will harden over time. In fact they tasted better 24 hours after I baked them. Once they are out of the oven, let them cool completely and then pop them into the refrigerator for couple of hours before cutting them. The quantity of honey can be adjusted to taste and one can also use maple syrup in place of honey. Also in case you don’t have applesauce replace it with 1 egg.
I used a 8 X 8 square pan but didn’t cover it entirely with the mixture. I poured it on one side of the baking pan because I wanted thicker bars.
* In case you can’t find almond flour at your grocery store, you can make it at home. Soak the almonds overnight and then remove their skin or you can get blanched almonds in that case you can skip this step. Put the blanched almonds in food processor and pulse till it forms a coarse powder. Sift the flour to get rid of any large particles.
* Do not try to cut the bars immediately, they will be too soft. Let them cool completely and pop them into refrigerator for couple of hours before cutting into bars.
* You can use any nut of your choice – walnuts, pistachios, pecans.
* This recipe doubles up easily.
* Chia, Sesame seeds would be great addition to these bars.
Almond Flour Bars - Gluten Free Bars
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 1/2 cup nut butter almond or peanut
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts chopped
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- mini chocolate chips
- sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
- Line a 8X8 square pan with parchment paper or spray it with a non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix almond/peanut butter, honey, applesauce and salt in a bowl.
- Add flour, baking powder, chopped pecans, flax seeds and mini chocolate chips to the wet ingredients and mix.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips and sweetened shredded coconut. Press them lightly with a spoon or use your hands.
- Bake at 350 F degrees for 20-25 minutes, till edges are golden brown in color.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars.
- Bars will be very soft initially but will harden over time.
Almond Flour Bars
57 thoughts on “Almond Flour Bars – Gluten Free”
I have been making these for backpacking, using them for breakfast bars. They taste so much better than commercial bars and I can control the ingredients. They are fabulous. I have shared them with friends who have raved about them! Thank you for such a yummy recipe. BTW, so far, I have carried them for a week in my backpack without any problem, even in the heat of summer.
So glad to hear that Barbara!
Mam how much is 1 cup here in gms
1 cup almond flour is around 96 grams (I use US standard size cups 240 ml/8oz)
I would love to try these.
What can be good substitutes for chocolate chips?
you can skip them or chop some chocolate and use
Can I freeze these?
not sure, have never tried freezing them but you can try
I made this recipe last night and really like it! It was so easy to whip up and it’s a really healthy snack! I do wonder if these have to be stored in the fridge, or if you just recommend putting them in the fridge to help firm them. Thanks for a great recipe!
Excellent recipe, thank you for sharing!