What do you think people around the world eat for breakfast? I mean the most common stuff? Cereals, toast, eggs are few things which come to my mind immediately. These are universally popular, of course it helps that they are all super simple to make with minimal prep work. I do eat cereals and toasts on a regular basis especially on days when I get up late and have no time to prepare parathas or other Indian breakfast. But if there’s one thing I do not make often, it has to be eggs. Husband is not too fond of eggs, I mean he is okay with them in baked goods, he would even eat hard boiled eggs but omelettes? He hates the smell so I make them only when I am alone at home and have to make something quick for breakfast or lunch.
Omelettes are easy to make, healthy and also very versatile. Since I love my veggies, I like my omelettes loaded with all veggies possible. Spinach, onions, mushrooms, you name it and I would want it in my omelette. The latest veggie that I added to my omelette is the wonderful broccoli in this broccoli sriracha omelette.
It’s so funny that I tasted sriracha so late in my life. I don’t know why am I always the last one to catch up on the trend, anyway better late than never I guess? Sriracha has become quite a craze in US, in fact you now get small sriracha bottles as keychains so that you always have access to the hot sauce even if you are on the move. That’s some level of craze alright!
To make this omelette is super simple, mix all the ingredients together till well combined and then pour the mixture over hot pan. Add in some cheese if you like and then cook the omelette till well done. Here I would like to mention that in India we generally eat “well done” omelettes, we cook them really long if you compare them to American omelettes. So cook it according to your preference.
This broccoli sriracha omelette is full of flavors and very easy to make. So next time you feel like eating something delicious and you don’t really have a lot of time to cook, you know what to make!
* You can adjust the quantity of sriracha sauce to taste.
Broccoli Sriracha Omelette
- 2 eggs, large
- 3 tablespoons broccoli, finely chopped in food processor
- 2.5 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- ¾ teaspoon sriracha sauce or to taste
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1-2 teaspoons oil or butter
- 2-3 tablespoons shredded cheese, pick your choice of cheese - i used mozarella
- pinch of white pepper
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Chop broccoli florets very fine using your food processor. Set aside.
- In a bowl, break 2 eggs and then add finely chopped broccoli, onion, cilantro and sour cream.
- Add sriracha sauce, milk, white pepper and salt & black pepper to taste.
- Whisk the eggs mixture till everything is well combined.
- Heat oil or butter in a pan on medium heat.
- Once butter is hot & melted, pour the egg mixture on the pan and swirl the pan around so that omelette covers the whole pan.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, add shredded mozarella cheese on top.
- Now flip the omelette to cook the other side for another 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer omelette to a serving plate and enjoy. You can additionally drizzle some more sriracha on the omelette if you want to.
Broccoli Sriracha Omelette