Chilli Cheese Toast Recipe
Jun 16, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Chilli Cheese Toast is a popular snack and street food in India especially in Mumbai. It has slices of bread topped with cheese (usually Amul cheese) and green chilies for that kick. Veggies like onions, green bell peppers, and green onions are also often added to it. This step by step recipe will guide you on how to make chilli cheese toast on a tawa/skillet (stove top) and also in an air fryer.
I was first introduced to Chilli cheese toast on a trip to Mumbai very long back. It wasn’t really a street food in Delhi (at least back then). I remember eating it for the first time and instantly loving it. There’s bread, cheese and it has a nice kick to it as well, what was not to like?
There’s nothing really Indian about a chilli cheese toast. It’s basically a cheese toast which was invented by a chef in the 1970s in Mumbai. The dish gained popularity and was soon adapted by various restaurants and soon found its way on the streets of Mumbai. Now, chilli cheese toast is popular as a quick snack throughout India.
Table of contents
To make a chilli cheese toast, you obviously need bread, cheese and chillies.
Bread: You can use any bread you like- white bread or whole wheat bread. I personally like using a thick crusty bread like a sourdough for making the toast.
Cheese: Traditionally, Amul cheese (a brand of cheese in India) was used to make this toast. The amul processed cheese was grated and then piled on the bread slices along with chillies and veggies and baked. You can also use cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese if you can’t find Amul. Though I would recommend sticking to Amul or cheddar for best results.
Chillies: Green chilies were added to give it a spicy kick, you can also add jalapenos in place.
Veggies: The type of veggies you add to this toast can depend on what you have and what you like. I often add onions and green peppers but the day I shot this recipe, I added just onions. You can also add tomatoes, green onions, sweet corn etc.
Seasonings: To give the toast an extra flavor, I also like adding some dried oregano but that’s completely optional. Some people also like adding crushed red chili flakes to make this even spicier. One key ingredient in chilli cheese toast is freshly cracked black pepper. You must absolutely not skip it and add tons of it!
Make sure the cheese is at room temperature for this recipe. Grate the cheese and then let it come to room temperature. It’s easier to work with soft room temperature cheese.
How To Make Chilli Cheese Toast On Tawa – Step by Step Instructions
- Start by grating the cheese, you would need 1 cup grated cheese ( I used Amul processed cheese) for this. Make sure the cheese is at room temperature, it mixes easily and is also easier to spread when it’s at room temperature.
- Transfer the grated cheese to a mixing bowl. Add 1 chopped green chili to it (or add 2 if you like extra spicy).
- Also, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of chopped green pepper. You can also add chopped onions, tomatoes, and sweet corn. Add 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, freshly cracked black pepper and salt (to taste).
- Mix well using a spoon. Since the cheese was at room temperature, it’s easier to bring everything together.
- Take 2 large sourdough slices (if using a regular white bread, you would probably need 4 slices). Toast the bread slices on a tawa/pan on medium heat until they are toasted and crispy. Then spread some butter of the toasted slices if you like. Spread the cheese mixture equally between the two slices.
- Place the bread slices back on the tawa/pan. Place a small bowl filled with water in the pan as well (on the side). The water evaporated and the steam helps in melting the cheese.
- Cover with a lid and let the cheese melt, takes around 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the pan and garnish with cilantro. Serve hot with ketchup or cilantro chutney!
Chilli Cheese Toast In Air Fryer
To make the chilli cheese toast in the air fryer, you can toast the bread first if you like. I usually skip this step because air fryer makes the bread crispy as is. Preheat the air fryer according the manufacture’s instructions.
Then place the bread slices and air fry at 330 F degrees for 4 to 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Remove carefully, cut into slices and enjoy.
Chilli Cheese Toast In Oven
Preheat the oven to 425 F degrees. Toast the bread slices until lightly golden brown on both sides in the oven for a few minutes. You can also toast using a pan. Then top the bread slices with the cheese mixture and place on a baking sheet and bake at 425 F degrees for 5 to 6 minutes or until the cheese melts and turns golden brown. You can also broil for a few seconds if you like.
- Add lots of freshly grounded black pepper to the mixture. Black pepper is key for the flavor and it goes so well with the cheese and chilies, so don’t skip it. Try to use freshly cracked black pepper for best results.
- Make it extra spicy: To make it spicier, you can add extra chilies or add some crushed red chili flakes to the mixture.
- Prep in advance: if you want to make these toasts and prep in advance, you can make the cheese mixture in advance and refrigerate. Next day take it out of the fridge and let it sit for 30 minutes at least and then put it on the bread slices.
Chilli Cheese Toast
- 1 cup cheese grated, use Amul processed cheese for best results. Can also use cheddar cheese.
- 1-2 green chilies chopped, adjust to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons green bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- black pepper freshly cracked, few twists
- salt to taste
- 2 large sourdough bread slices or 4 regular white bread slices (or brown bread)
- 1 tablespoon butter optional
- cilantro chopped, to sprinkle
- First grate the cheese, and them let it come to room temperature so that its easier to work with. Then transfer the grated cheese to a bowl and add chopped chilies, and chopped green peppers to it. You can also add chopped onions, green onions, tomatoes or corn.
- Add salt, pepper and dried oregano. Using a fork or spoon, mix until everything comes together.
- Now, take 2 large sourdough bread slices and toasted them in a pan on medium heat until they are lightly toasted and crispy. Then spread butter on the bread slices if you like and spread the cheese mixture equally between the two slices.
- Place the bread slices back on the pan and place a small bowl filled with water on the pan as well (on the side). The water evaporates and the steam helps in melting the cheese. Cover the pan and let the cheese melt, around 5 minutes.
- Remove the toast from the pan, garnish with cilantro and serve with chutney.
Chilli Cheese Toast Air Fryer Instructions
- You can toast the bread first if you like. Then preheat the air fryer according the manufacture's instructions. Then place the bread slices and air fry at 330 F degrees for 4 to 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Remove carefully, cut into slices and enjoy.
Chilli Cheese Toast Oven Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 425 F degrees. Toast the bread slices until lightly golden brown on both sides in the oven for a few minutes. Then top the bread slices with the cheese mixture and place on a baking sheet and bake at 425 F degrees for 5 to 6 minutes or until the cheese melts and turns golden brown. You can also broil for a few seconds if you like.
- If you can’t find Amul processed cheese, the next best option would be to use cheddar cheese. You can also use mozzarella but that won’t be my first recommendation.
- Add veggies like onions, tomato to make the toast more colorful and add more flavor to it.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.