I have recently become obsessed with making granola at home. You might have noticed that already if you have been following my blog for a while. Making granola at home is so easy that ever since I discovered it I have never purchased a box from the grocery store. Why to waste money on something which you can make at home in just few minutes? I don’t think it makes sense especially when you can choose what goes in your granola and modify it to your taste and preference. If you still haven’t jumped on the “homemade granola” bandwagon I strongly suggest you do. I can assure you that once you start making your own granola, you are never going back to those boxes at the store!
Talking about this granola now. Well because cranberries are everywhere these days, today I am sharing with you a cranberry and toasted granola recipe. It’s super simple, vegan and totally delicious.
Have you ever tried toasting coconut? You can either toast it in the oven or on stove top. I prefer the stove top method, no reason I just find it easier. For this granola I toasted the sweetened coconut flakes. The toasting not only enhances the flavor but also makes the coconut flakes crispy. To toast them simply put the flakes in a pan on medium heat and stir frequently till the most of the flakes turn light golden in color.
The addition of cinnamon and cranberries makes this granola very festive and it would make for some nice gift too during this time of the year. You can pack them up in a jar and add them to your gift basket. Everyone loves a homemade granola!
This cranberry and coconut granola has to be one of my personal favorites. You can simply snack on it or eat it with milk for your breakfast!
* You can use honey in place of maple syrup to sweeten the granola.
Cranberry & Toasted Coconut Granola
- 3 cups rolled oats [not quick oats]
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3.5 tablespoons coconut oil
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- Preheat oven to 325 F degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with silicon mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Toast the sweetened coconut flakes on a pan on medium heat till they turn light golden in color, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- In a bowl toss together oats, salt and cinnamon powder. Set aside.
- In a small pan, heat together maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Heat for 2 minutes till the liquids appear smooth.
- Pour wet ingredients into the oats mixture and mix till all the oats are moistened.
- Transfer the granola onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 325 F degrees for 30-35 minutes, stirring after every 10 minutes. I baked mine for 32 minutes.
- Allow the granola to cool for an hour. It will crisp up as it cools.
- Add the dried cranberries and toasted coconut flakes and give a final mix.
- Store the granola in an airtight container at room temperature.