Creamy cucumber dip is an easy to put together dip and is great with chips, pretzels, pita bread and more!
This weekend was so bright and sunny in Seattle, even though the temperatures were in 50’s and it was in fact quite chilly at night. Okay you folks from the east coast and around, I know it’s nothing compared to what you guys have got, but still it’s too much for us here! Anyway I love the sun because everything feels better when it’s shining bright. And in another news, Indian cricket team won it’s 2nd match against South Africa too, so yay for that!
I also saw some pink and white flowers on trees when we went grocery shopping yesterday and I was so excited to see them because it means spring will be here soon! Can’t wait! So because I was feeling all summery, I decided to make something using one of my favorite summer vegetable – cucumber. Wait, is it a fruit or a vegetable? Doesn’t matter because I love to eat it as salad with my meals. In India, grated cucumber is often mixed with yogurt and spices , we call it raita and it makes the perfect side dish.
This dip is actually very similar to tzatziki sauce, the Greek sauce which is made with yogurt, cucumber, dill and garlic. I think this combination is so fantastic so even if you don’t have or don’t want to use sour cream, just use Greek yogurt in place, it would still taste great. This combination also reminds me of dough, a popular Afghan yogurt drink which I absolutely love and which my husbands make often at home.
The dip is not only great with chips and pretzels but also fantastic to dip in veggies like carrots & celery. I used this dip with over vegetarian quesadillas and it enhanced the flavor so much!
Wash and peel the cucumber and grate it or pulse it in the food processor.
Placed the crushed/grated cucumber in a bowl and add some salt to it. Set aside for 15 minutes, this will help in releasing all the moisture from the cucumber.
After 15 minutes, squeeze the cucumber with your hands, releasing all the moisture. Set aside.
In a bowl combine the cucumber, sour cream, dill, salt & pepper.
Whisk till well combined. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time till desired consistency is reached. Check the seasoning and adjust to taste.
Chill the dip before serving.
Enjoy the creamy cucumber dip with chips and crackers, so good!
* Adjust the seasoning to taste. I sprinkled some extra dill later on, so adjust accordingly.
* Add water little by little, you don’t want the dip to get too thin.
* This creamy cucumber dip tastes best when chilled so do put it in the refrigerator for couple of hours before serving.
Creamy Cucumber Dip
- ½ english cucumber [around ¼ cup grated cucumber]
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon dill dried
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- water as required [around 2 tablespoons]
- Wash and peel the cucumber and grate it or pulse it in the food processor.
- Placed the crushed/grated cucumber in a bowl and add some salt to it. Set aside for 15 minutes, this will help in releasing all the moisture from the cucumber.
- After 15 minutes, squeeze the cucumber with your hands, releasing all the moisture. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine the cucumber, sour cream, dill, salt & pepper.
- Whisk till well combined. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time till desired consistency is reached. Check the seasoning and adjust to taste.
- Chill the dip before serving.
- Enjoy the creamy cucumber dip with chips, crackers, veggies!
Creamy Cucumber Dip
34 thoughts on “Creamy Cucumber Dip”
Glad you are enjoying nice warm weather Manali!! We are experiencing weather in low 20’s!! Gosh girl I am so jealous of your seattle weather! Btw I have been missing home lately and this takes me back memory lane! Yumm!
Thanks Ami and oh my god low 20s!! I don’t think I can survive that!! Stay warm!
My Persian friend was just telling me about something just like this! But her family would eat it on the side with a full entree. Love how you made it a dip!
Oh yeah cucumber and yogurt is a popular side/sauce in Middle Eastern cuisines! Thanks Pamela! 🙂
This looks delicious!! Thank you for sharing! <3 – http://www.domesticgeekgirl.com
Love that you are embracing Spring already Manali! I looooovvvveeeee cucumbers, and I’m adoring this dip! Pinned!
Thanks for the pin Justine!!
I love cucumber dip. I often use it as a salad dressing. It’s delicious. I’m going to have to try out your recipe!
Thanks Jen! I bet they are great with salads!
I only recently got on the cucumber train! I used to really dislike them, but they’ve grown on me, and I really like them in dips! Pinned!
Whattt, you disliked cucumber? They are nice you know? haha..Glad you are finally on board! Thanks for the pin Kristi! xoxo
I love cucumber and everything made with it! this dip looks totally made for me 🙂 thanks for sharing, Manali!
I love cucumber dips, they’re so refreshing! This one looks delicious Manali!