This recipe is special, why you may ask? Well because this one is from my husband! Yup, he’s an expert in making this Afghan yogurt drink which is flavored with cucumber and mint. He almost always makes this drink whenever we have guests at home and it’s always a big hit.
Dough is one drink which will be always on the menu in any Afghan/Persian restaurants. It’s a yogurt drink very similar to salted lassi, the difference is that in dough you also add cucumber and mint leaves. Also dough is very thin in consistency unlike lassi.
I first tasted this drink obviously at a Afghan restaurant and loved it instantly. The drink is so refreshing and light, you can not go wrong with this. With summers approaching soon, dough will be quite regular in my kitchen.
Check out the recipe for this refreshingly tasty yogurt drink. Oh one more thing, I’m not sure if my spelling of Dough is correct, I have seen it being listed as’Dough’ and ‘Doogh’ both in restaurants. Perhaps someone from Afghanistan or Persia can help me with this.
Yogurt: 3.5 cups [preferably full-fat yogurt]
Water: 2 cups + 15 ice cubes
Cucumber: 1/2, chopped [ use 2 if using Persian cucumber]
Mint leaves: 10-12 leaves, chopped
Salt: 1/4 tsp
Black salt: to taste, around 1/2 tsp
1. Chop the mint leaves and cucumber.
2. Put all ingredients [ yogurt, water, mint leaves, ice cubes, cucumber, salt & black salt] together in a blender.
3. Blend until smooth.
4. Garnish with mint leaves and serve.
* Use fresh mint leaves only. The dried leaves will not give the desired flavor to this drink.
* Adjust consistency according to preference but dough is traditionally thin in consistency.
* If you are using Persian cucumber, use 2 of them. We used a regular English cucumber and hence used only 1/2 of it.
Dough - Afghan Yogurt Drink
- 3.5 cups whole milk yogurt
- 2 cups water and add 15 more ice cubes
- ½ cucumber chopped [use 2 if using persian cucumber]
- 10-12 mint leaves chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black salt adjust to taste
- Chop the mint leaves and cucumber.
- Put all ingredients [ yogurt, water, mint leaves, ice cubes, cucumber, salt & black salt] together in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Garnish with mint leaves and serve.