Creamy cucumber salad with red onions and sweet corn is a great salad to make for your summer potlucks and parties!
As soon as the weather warms up, it’s like you have parties and potlucks to attend every weekend. Isn’t it? Everyone get into the party mood as summer begins and it’s only fair because summer in US doesn’t last very long. Well that’s true for most places in the US, of course if you live in Hawaii or Florida (and I am so jealous of you!!) then that’s a totally different story. This upcoming weekend is a long weekend, it’s Memorial Day and I am sure you must have lot of plans to make the day special. If you are still deciding on what to take for your Memorial day potluck or picnic, then I have a great recipe for you. This Creamy Cucumber Salad is super easy to make and tastes really good!
This salad is one of my favorites to make for a crowd. It’s a crowd pleaser and something that I can make in 10-15 minutes so it’s a win-win situation! A classic cucumber salad usually has sour cream, now mine has that too but it also has greek yogurt. I love using a mix of both, however you may use only sour cream or only green yogurt (if you are super health conscious!).
This creamy cucumber salad can’t get simpler than this. You chop everything, whisk the dressing, pour over the salad and serve. How easy right? I have added few things to make the salad more flavorful.
1. red onions and yellow corn: onion is commonly used in cucumber salads, but how about adding some sweet corn to it? I for one love it!
2. ranch salad dressing and seasoning mix: this is optional of course but I highly recommend it. If you are someone who loves the classic taste of cucumber salad, then please feel free to skip it.
3. fresh mint: dill and cucumber go so well together, that’s like a known fact but I encourage you to also add little mint to the salad. It really makes it more fresh and flavorful.
I would like to emphasize here that you can make the dressing and keep it refrigerated until ready to use. An hour before you want to serve it, pour the dressing over the cucumber, onions and corn, wrap and refrigerate for an hour before serving.
Slice cucumber into thin rounds. Slice the onions. Place the cut cucumbers, sliced onions and corn in a bowl.
Make the dressing by whisking in all ingredients listed under “dressing”.
Pour the dressing over the cut veggies and mix till everything is well combined. Wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
Garnish with some more fresh dill and enjoy the creamy cucumber salad!
1. You may use 100% sour cream to make it more creamier. You may also use 100% greek yogurt to make it healthier.
2. Add a couple of tablespoons of mayonnaise to up the flavor.
Creamy Cucumber Salad with Onion & Corn
- 1 large english cucumber or use 3 small cucumbers cut into rounds
- 1/2 cup yellow corn
- 1/2 of small red onion sliced
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 large garlic pressed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon ranch salad dressing and seasoning mix optional
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- Slice cucumber into thin rounds. Slice the onions. Place the cut cucumbers, sliced onions and corn in a bowl.
- Make the dressing by whisking in all ingredients listed under "dressing".
- Pour the dressing over the cut veggies and mix till everything is well combined. Wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Garnish with some more fresh dill and enjoy the creamy cucumber salad!
Creamy Cucumber Salad