Fresh asparagus roasted with curry spice and served with toasted pine nuts. Easy side dish for spring!
As soon as spring starts, the market get full with asparagus. We don’t get asparagus in India, and I never ate it before I moved to the US. I always wondered how do we eat this veggie because it looks so different you know. This was when I didn’t know that roasting veggies is like the best thing ever. Once I figured out that roasting makes everything wonderful, it was obvious that asparagus had to be roasted too. I do think this is the best way to eat this spring vegetable. Yes you can cook it the pan or boil it but roasting really enhances the flavors.
What else makes it flavorful? The seasoning of course. There’s so much you can add here, I added some curry powder which really enhanced the flavors. It’s such a simple side dish, you only need 20 minutes to make it and it’s just perfect for spring. To give the dish a little texture, I added in some toasted pine nuts. I thought they went so well here. I just roasted them on the pan while the asparagus was in the oven.
Once the asparagus is done, toss it with the toasted pine nuts, squeeze in some fresh lemon juice and serve. You may also add some parmesan cheese on top but I kept it simple and vegan. Hope you guys give this easy side dish a try. If you have never made asparagus before, this is the way to start – by roasting them.
Wash and trim the hard ends of the asparagus. Place the trimmed asparagus on baking sheet.
Drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and curry powder. Roast in the oven in a pre-heated oven at 450 F degrees for 15 minutes.
While the asparagus is in the oven, toast some pine nuts on a pan on medium heat. Dry roast them for around 5-6 minutes or till they turn golden brown in color and are fragrant.
Remove the curry roasted asparagus from oven and add in the pine nuts. Squeeze in some fresh lemon juice and serve immediately.
* You may add some grated parmesan cheese on top before serving.
Curry Roasted Asparagus with Pine Nuts
- 1.5 lb asparagus
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- juice of half lemon
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Wash and trim the hard ends of the asparagus. Place the trimmed asparagus on prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and curry powder.
- Roast in the oven at 450 F degrees for 15 minutes.
- While the asparagus is in the oven, toast some pine nuts on a pan on medium heat. Dry roast them for around 5-6 minutes or till they turn golden brown in color and are fragrant.
- Remove the roasted asparagus from oven and add in the pine nuts. Squeeze in some fresh lemon juice and serve immediately.
Curry Roasted Asparagus